Wait! The Torox 185 is 8S capable?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniC

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
So I was just browsing though the Torox 185 manual and noticed it pretty clearly states it supports 3-8S lipos, in several places throughout the manual! I mean the front page says 2-6S, but if you look inside it says 3-8S, and it even specifically says not compatible with 2S.

1662567504081.png

1662567549563.png

So, what's all this about? 😱

The Torox 185 manual that came with my new Muraco, which is Version 2 of the Torox manual, does not say anything about 2-6s on the front cover, but both charts inside show 3-8s.

That's good to know it supports up to 8s: that means on 6s it isn't running at full capacity, and it should run cooler.

It would be fun! And mental!
But it must be a mistake on the manual right?
I doubt it's a mistake. The Torox 185 is a Hobbywing Max8 upgraded from 160A to 185A, so they could have upgraded the maximum battery size when they upped the amperage.

I personally don't believe it, the max6 is only rated at 160a/1050a yet a rebranded max8 is supposedly 185a/1050a?? Anything is possible I guess but I feel it's just marketing wank, a shot at the blx185 perhaps? Bigger numbers make people feel special, the torox 185 itself only has 3-6s stamped on the side of it, at least the one in my xtr does, even if it could detect and run 8s there's no way I would trust it to handle it, just my opinion though

I'm pretty sure this question has come up before? I did a search here on the forum but couldn't find it. Perhaps it was over on AF, not sure. Either way, the Torox 185 is likely the best rtr esc out there and perhaps even better than the G1 Max 8. I'm glad I snatched a couple last year before JRC jacked the price. Thanks @razorrc 🍻

The Torox 185 onboard capacitors are tiny compared to a Max 6. I did find the thread where some of this was discussed. I actually posted pictures I had found online of the Torox 185, Max 6 and Max 8 at the time. Have a look if you're interested. Keep in mind all 3 esc's use 10 gauge power cables and reference the size of the capacitors to the wires beside them. Not saying the cap size is what determines amperage, but is indicative..
https://www.corallyforum.com/threads/kronos-xtr-2021-vs-2022.215/page-2

A lot of vehicles with this ESC have been sold with this mistake in the manual, so if anyone tried using 8s and fried their ESC, Corally would have to pay for new ones. Fortunately, there aren't too many folks who would try running 8s in a RTR vehicle advertised as being 6s.

I'm a bit late to the party, but it is NOT 8s capable it's a misprint confirmed by Corally some time ago 👍🏼

Even so, it's still a better esc than its brother the Hobbywing Max8, Corally have always used a different firmware to HW almost like a supercharged version😉🤣

A lot of vehicles with this ESC have been sold with this mistake in the manual, so if anyone tried using 8s and fried their ESC, Corally would have to pay for new ones. Fortunately, there aren't too many folks who would try running 8s in a RTR vehicle advertised as being 6s.
Well, i have connected (by mistake) in my two ESC's (stock Hobao VTE and the Toro TS 150A) a 7 cell pack (3+4 cells) and nothing fried.
The car wouldn't move but the steering worked!
(sorry for my english)

Adding my two pennies.

I recently bought a Corally Torox 185 ESC from Jenny's. After reading this thread, I pulled it out of the package and read the label on the ESC. It says 3s - 6s. I also compared the capacitors to a recently purchased Max6 and they are smaller.

Hope this helps.

Back