Tools for getting started in RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Reaction score
If you've been in R/C for several years and have hundreds of dollars in tools already, this post isn't going to be useful for you. If you're just getting started in R/C, maybe you just picked up your first Corally RC model and want to know what tools to pick up... this post is just for you!

Short version:

Hex Drivers

While many manufactures will usually includes some cheap L hex wrenches. These are usually a pain to use especially in hard to reach areas and do a great job at rounding your hex heads and for those reasons I recommend throwing them away or giving them to someone you don't like.

Bondhus makes great tools, offer a lifetime warranty, and make tools here in the USA and offer some very nice priced tools that are great to get started with, like the Bondhus 10686 6-piece set. Which includes 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, & 5.0mm hex drivers.

In addition you'll also want to pick up a Bondhus .050" hex driver. For less than $20 you'll have all your hex screw needs covered and then some.

Nut Drivers

The tiny 4-way cross wrench isn't bad, truth be told I still use mine every once in a while but have a couple nut drivers makes the work far more easier and quicker.

The Dynamite metric nut driver set is a nice set that's going to cover both the 5.5mm and 7mm nuts used on most Corally models.

Screwdrivers

You probably likely already have a couple screwdrivers laying around somewhere but if not then the Tekton 4 piece set makes a nice set to cover both slotted and Phillips screws.

Other Stuff

There are a couple more things I'd recommend adding to your R/C toolbox to finish it off. Needle nose pliers, again something you may already have if not any, if not again the Tekton 3504 needle nose pliers for a few bucks will be fine.

Blue thread lock, as you'll be using this anytime a screw goes into a metal piece to prevent the screw from backing out. I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the Loctite blue sticks. You can get the small bottle version but with the sticks you don't have to worry about it leaking, dripping, running, or drying out. It goes exactly where you put it.

To finish it off, get some permatex white lithium grease. This offers great lubrication without being overly messy or thick.

For not much money you can have pretty much all the tools you're going to need to work on your Corally RC's that's going to last you a good long time and a toolbox that will go with you as you buy more and more RC's.

Lets hear from you!

What about you? If you have some useful and handy tools you think someone would benefit from using, then please share those tool with links below!

I have been having really good luck with my MIP hex drivers! They are a little spendy but their tips are so strong!

AB54060E-1F3C-4875-AF79-43B1EAD43C2D.jpeg

Moores Ideal Products 9502 Metric Hex Wrench Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7DK0NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_PAK0P2YDQDSVFCVNERVQ

MIPs are awesome, but I love my Proteks, too! I have multiple duplicates of both, and neither brand have shown any wear after more than a year of hard use.

MIP tools are great. Vanquish drivers are also top notch and have longer shafts than MIP.

A good shock multi-tool is also a must. I use Tekno, but any one will do.

I know people are big on Dewalt and Milwaukee ect. Check harbor freight they have a great electric driver that works great for rc stuff. $17. Didn't make sense to spend big bucks for a name brand. I would rather spend my money on quality bits and drivers.

This electric screwdriver is fantastic and comes with so many bits it's crazy. Works great on smaller scale RCs, like 12th scale and lower.
1645135057327.png

I also find a set of digital calipers is essential, it's definitely one of my most used tools.
1645135232349.png

BTW, what do you guys recommend for holding on tight to shock shafts without damaging them in order to screw/unscrew rod ends? I struggle with that one, I usually just wrap the shaft with several layers of cloth and then clamp on it hard with lock pliers.

Back