Kronos Tips on mounting an action camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormwind

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos
I have been tinkering with different methods of mounting my Mobius action (depicted below) camera to my Kronos to try and capture some footage.

I have simply applying velcro (hook and loop) to the top of the body and attaching it that way. Obviously this is nowhere near strong enough and it flies off after a small bump.

The second thing that I have tried is using a zip tie to attach it to the front A arms. Due to its low profile andb the lens position, I managed to fit the main bulk of the camera under the body of the Kronos and just poke the lens out. However, the edge of the body does sit high on its peg and after a few heavy landings like this I am worrying that it will cause body damage since it can't flex properly. The zip tie also snapped after a matter of minutes.

I was wondering if anyone else runs their rig with an action camera attached and how they go about mounting it?

1674888473669.png

I use velcro for mounting most stuff, battery packs, Rx, ESC etc.
Recently saw some 3M Dual Lock, which is advertised as being extra strong and grippy, with mushroom shaped locking pegs - could be worth a go for an action camera to the outside of the shell.

Thanks for the tip, I've just bought a meter of dual lock and will leave some feedback if that is any good.
Now I just need to get my butt into gear and finish up my DIY gyro device for use with Gyroflow so hopefully I can capture some videos that are not nauseating to watch due to vibrations :p

The vibrations might be a problem. Is there any gel-like rubber material which would absorb enough of the vibrations to make the footage useable?
On a mountain bike, the camera goes on the side of your helmet and then your body absorbs impacts and vibrations, so maybe we need to find an 8th scale person to fix the camera on and ride in the truck!

I use velcro for mounting most stuff, battery packs, Rx, ESC etc.
Recently saw some 3M Dual Lock, which is advertised as being extra strong and grippy, with mushroom shaped locking pegs - could be worth a go for an action camera to the outside of the shell.
Dual lock is good stuff - I use it for mounting things on FPV quads and RC cars. It's brilliant.

I've no idea if it will reduce vibrations, but it definitely simplifies applications in place of regular velcro hook & loop by virtue of it being just one type - interlocking into itself - kinda design. Never be without it.

I'm going to try mounting my DJI Action 2 to my Kronos XTR. There are 3D printed anti vibration mounts, like this one.
Screenshot_20230130_194459_com.ebay.mobile_edit_776487097786202.jpg

That are supposed to help with 'Jello'.

Last edited:
Don't the DJI cameras have software stabilitsation built-in like the GoPro cameras?
Since my Mobius camera is super old it doesn't have anything like that so I'm hoping that gyroflow will help out with that.

I was gifted a hero11 for xmas. Things pretty nice, I have to say, no way am I attaching it to one of my rc's though.. too expensive. LOL

Don't the DJI cameras have software stabilitsation built-in like the GoPro cameras?
Since my Mobius camera is super old it doesn't have anything like that so I'm hoping that gyroflow will help out with that.
Yes, you're right. They have 'Steady' and 'Rocksteady' stabilisation. It's pretty good, but it's not infallible - especially if you're free styling with a 5" quad. I find there are artifacts induced when rolling 360°, but this shouldn't be an issue with my Kronos. I hope! 😅

I was gifted a hero11 for xmas. Things pretty nice, I have to say, no way am I attaching it to one of my rc's though.. too expensive. LOL
I have always had a bit of a fetish for attaching cameras to RC models. 😝 It started in 1999 when I designed and built a pod that housed a 35mm film camera. The pod was then attached to the underside of an Acrowot aircraft. The camera was actuated by 2 servos - one for the shutter, 1 to wind the film on!

Results:
IMG_20230131_185450.jpg

IMG_20230131_185539.jpg

This was a new area of photography for me and a chance to attain my engineering diploma. Win win, right? What I hadn't realised, was that it was unauthorised in the UK at that time, to have a UAV with a camera without prior approval. My 'project' and the subsequent controversy surrounding 'eyes in the sky' was bitter sweet, gaining me a merit, but also a story in the paper scrutinising the implications! 😅

It's still a hot topic today I suppose.

I have always had a bit of a fetish for attaching cameras to RC models. 😝 It started in 1999 when I designed and built a pod that housed a 35mm film camera. The pod was then attached to the underside of an Acrowot aircraft. The camera was actuated by 2 servos - one for the shutter, 1 to wind the film on!

Results: View attachment 3315
View attachment 3316
This was a new area of photography for me and a chance to attain my engineering diploma. Win win, right? What I hadn't realised, was that it was unauthorised in the UK at that time, to have a UAV with a camera without prior approval. My 'project' and the subsequent controversy surrounding 'eyes in the sky' was bitter sweet, gaining me a merit, but also a story in the paper scrutinising the implications! 😅

It's still a hot topic today I suppose.
Wow!! That's an inspiring and unfortunate story altogether!! Congrats on your degree!! Sorry you made the papers too!! Who would of thought,right? I mean, sure, in this day and age of drones with digital cameras, no surprise but.. wow. Great photo too.
I never got into the flying aspect of rc's. I don't know where things stand in regards to what's legal to do or not with cameras and drones or planes but can definitely see that plenty of creepers are likely into drones for all the wrong reasons.. scary and disgusting to think about.
I recently saw a story in the news where a woman here in the states was in trouble for pointing a gun at a drone someone was flying with around her property.. that's BS IMO.
I tell ya this, anyone thinks there flying a drone over my property at low altitudes better not be to fond of it, cuz I'll shoot it down in a heartbeat!!

Wow!! That's an inspiring and unfortunate story altogether!! Congrats on your degree!! Sorry you made the papers too!! Who would of thought,right? I mean, sure, in this day and age of drones with digital cameras, no surprise but.. wow. Great photo too.
I never got into the flying aspect of rc's. I don't know where things stand in regards to what's legal to do or not with cameras and drones or planes but can definitely see that plenty of creepers are likely into drones for all the wrong reasons.. scary and disgusting to think about.
I recently saw a story in the news where a woman here in the states was in trouble for pointing a gun at a drone someone was flying with around her property.. that's BS IMO.
I tell ya this, anyone thinks there flying a drone over my property at low altitudes better not be to fond of it, cuz I'll shoot it down in a heartbeat!!
Yeah, there's an understandable concern for privacy but for the most part, the kind of wide angle cameras used on drones - particularly FPV drones - don't usually pose a privacy issue, provided pilots are flying reasonably.

In the US, FPV flyers usually have to get a radio ham licence as well as the flying competency.

In the UK, you are generally not allowed to overfly property or people - you're supposed to keep a minimum 50m horizontal separation. This can be different for sub 250g drones and I think this is where some people get annoyed - there are plenty of 'audit' videos where sub 250g DJI Mini 2/3 pilots exercise their rights - purely for the reaction they get from people.

My A2 CoC enables some greater freedoms and allows commercial flying, but it's simply not worth annoying people IMO.

Damn! Remind me to give your property a very wide berth! 😅

Flying over land however - the airspace - is controlled by the CAA (FAA in US). At least over and above 500ft it is. The contradiction there of course is that drone flyers are generally not allowed to fly over 400ft - to keep them out of manned aircraft flight paths.

Screenshot_20220906_003704_com.google.android.apps.docs_edit_814759492436091.jpg

Flying at these kinda heights, as you can see, even if there was a scantily clad, farmer's daughter/babe sunbathing in the field somewhere - you'd be hard pressed to tell. Especially at 80+mph! Mind you - I live in hope! 😝

Screenshot_20220827_224716.jpg

Generally, it's worth it for moments like this.
Screenshot_20220508_233522.jpg

I whole heartedly recommend RC flying to anyone that loves RC driving. It adds a whole new axis to play with and it's absorbing. Should probably stop there - but just to add - cameras mounted on TPU mounts seem to suffer less from vibration. All the above shots taken from the FPV camera, NOT the Action Cam 2. 😊

Yeah, there's an understandable concern for privacy but for the most part, the kind of wide angle cameras used on drones - particularly FPV drones - don't usually pose a privacy issue, provided pilots are flying reasonably.

In the US, FPV flyers usually have to get a radio ham licence as well as the flying competency.

In the UK, you are generally not allowed to overfly property or people - you're supposed to keep a minimum 50m horizontal separation. This can be different for sub 250g drones and I think this is where some people get annoyed - there are plenty of 'audit' videos where sub 250g DJI Mini 2/3 pilots exercise their rights - purely for the reaction they get from people.

My A2 CoC enables some greater freedoms and allows commercial flying, but it's simply not worth annoying people IMO.

Flying over land however - the airspace - is controlled by the CAA (FAA in US). At least over and above 500ft it is. The contradiction there of course is that drone flyers are generally not allowed to fly over 400ft - to keep them out of manned aircraft flight paths.

View attachment 3318

Flying at these kinda heights, as you can see, even if there was a scantily clad, farmer's daughter/babe sunbathing in the field somewhere - you'd be hard pressed to tell. Especially at 80+mph! Mind you - I live in hope! 😝

View attachment 3319
View attachment 3320
I whole heartedly recommend RC flying to anyone that loves RC driving. It adds a whole new axis to play with and it's absorbing. Should probably stop there - but just to add - cameras mounted on TPU mounts seem to suffer less from vibration. All the above shots taken from the FPV camera, NOT the Action Cam 2. 😊
I should clarify, I live in a rural area, I have 5 acres and properties that border mine are 5 or more acres each. No reason anyone should be flying in close proximity to my home I feel. Where I grew up is suburbia, there I would expect it to happen.

View attachment 3318

View attachment 3319
View attachment 3320
BTW great photos!! I can understand and respect the hobby too. My brother has a few drones, he's been trying to get me into them. I would like to try it out but honestly, I've got too much on my plate already financially speaking.

Haha, if I had a camera that expensive I'd certainly think twice before sticking it on a car since my Mobius has been bashed about way more from being on my car twice than it has in the years it has been attached to my quad. The amount of time I have spent searching for it though after it has been ejected from it I can no longer count. Kinda wish that it does give up the ghost one of these days so that I have an excuse to get something more modern :p.

The legality of it all is getting a bit much now but I completely understand it to be honest with all the stories of near misses and people generally doing stupid things. After getting back into drones recently after taking a few years off I found that you need to register with the CAA now and pay a fee for being a registered drone keeper (whereas the flying license is free for some reason....).
Still, it could be worse; in Japan all their drones and model aircraft need to have beacons nowadays to be legal just like a full size aircraft. My brother-in-law was looking into making his own since buying one would cost in the region of an extra £150 or so just for the beacon.

I should clarify, I live in a rural area, I have 5 acres and properties that border mine are 5 or more acres each. No reason anyone should be flying in close proximity to my home I feel. Where I grew up is suburbia, there I would expect it to happen.

BTW great photos!! I can understand and respect the hobby too. My brother has a few drones, he's been trying to get me into them. I would like to try it out but honestly, I've got too much on my plate already financially speaking.
I quite agree - you generally shouldn't be expected to tolerate drones over your property in such a setting. In my view, you really shouldn't have put up with it in any setting.

The law is different either side of the pond and civil matters like trespass are dealt with in a magistrates Court in the UK.

The danger of householders bringing down drones with firearms is that the CAA would likely press for 'endangering an aircraft' - which is a criminal offence.

I think these laws are being developed rapidly as things are very fluid at the moment.

There are some that don't want regulations or CAA/FAA to take control, but unfortunately it's 100% necessary and I am fully behind the changes.

In the UK, UAV pilots affiliated with the BMFA have additional permissions under article 16, so the CAA recognise the excellent safety record and reward it accordingly.

I quite agree - you generally shouldn't be expected to tolerate drones over your property in such a setting. In my view, you really shouldn't have put up with it in any setting.

The law is different either side of the pond and civil matters like trespass are dealt with in a magistrates Court in the UK.

The danger of householders bringing down drones with firearms is that the CAA would likely press for 'endangering an aircraft' - which is a criminal offence.

I think these laws are being developed rapidly as things are very fluid at the moment.

There are some that don't want regulations or CAA/FAA to take control, but unfortunately it's 100% necessary and I am fully behind the changes.

In the UK, UAV pilots affiliated with the BMFA have additional permissions under article 16, so the CAA recognise the excellent safety record and reward it accordingly.
All makes sense to me. Would I really shoot? IDK, the thought of someone snooping is what gets me irratated.. I can see endangering an aircraft as a serious risk too. I'm referring to shotgun, which could be a danger I suppose. Interestingly, folks hunt birds (ducks,geese)with shotguns everyday, never thought about what dangers that could pose to an aircraft? Hmm..

I think the likelihood of people snooping are quite low really. Most FPV drone cameras are still analogue and the quality is abysmal (think 240p video). The HD FPV cameras don't have a large range and so someone (if they are flying legally) would likely be nearby in the first place. The aviation code has recently changed in the UK too so that you basically have to be within visual sight of the drone at all times, even if you are flying FPV. This means if someone is that close your property, they could simply use binoculars etc as well.

The vast majority of us are there just to have fun anyway, I don't think I've ever come across anything nefarious in this hobby. Other than soldiers strapping grenades to them and sending them off to detonate in the Ukraine war that is....

Woah, this place looks awesome. Some kind of motorcross track? It'd be great to have a drone hovering here and then driving your RC car round the track through the FPV :LOL:

I think the likelihood of people snooping are quite low really. Most FPV drone cameras are still analogue and the quality is abysmal (think 240p video). The HD FPV cameras don't have a large range and so someone (if they are flying legally) would likely be nearby in the first place. The aviation code has recently changed in the UK too so that you basically have to be within visual sight of the drone at all times, even if you are flying FPV. This means if someone is that close your property, they could simply use binoculars etc as well.

The vast majority of us are there just to have fun anyway, I don't think I've ever come across anything nefarious in this hobby. Other than soldiers strapping grenades to them and sending them off to detonate in the Ukraine war that is....

Woah, this place looks awesome. Some kind of motorcross track? It'd be great to have a drone hovering here and then driving your RC car round the track through the FPV :LOL:
Yes - it's the Horatio test track - perfect Kronos XTR testing facility. 😝😍 But just not when I've put the belted speed tyres on!

This year, I hope to get some footage exactly like that. Maybe even some Wing combat/racing footage.

Guess we'll see! 👍

All makes sense to me. Would I really shoot? IDK, the thought of someone snooping is what gets me irratated.. I can see endangering an aircraft as a serious risk too. I'm referring to shotgun, which could be a danger I suppose. Interestingly, folks hunt birds (ducks,geese)with shotguns everyday, never thought about what dangers that could pose to an aircraft? Hmm..
Well - Jeremy Clerkson feels the same way. He got annoyed at his Diddly Squat farm, with nosey drone pilots flying over his land. If he actually went ahead and shot it down, for sure he'd likely find the culprit - as the Drone should have an operator ID on it, but if it was a legal drone flight.....he's the one screwed - even if he 'felt' like the Drone operator was 'trespassing'. At best he's looking at criminal damage. Worst case scenario - endangering the flight of an aircraft = 5 years imprisonment!! 😬 The UAV is the aircraft.

My personal view is - make friends with the people with nice land and request permission from them to take off and land from within their boundaries - then gift them nice pictures of their estates. This means you don't have to transmit at 2000mw and fly out to >5km each flight. 🤣

I concur with Stormwind - all the flyers I know - especially the ones that toil to make their own flying machines, are especially keen to respect the rights of landowners. Their flying sites depend on it!

Unfortunately there are those that enjoy 'being a d1ck' as a hobby. That takes many different forms.* Karens and Kevins. 🤣 We've all seen them in videos. Sometimes it's the people doing the Audit. Other times, it's the lunatics the auditor is trying to showcase. They are out there! 👀

Screenshot_20230201_220421_com.google.android.youtube_edit_861674834707577.jpg

*No offence to anyone who's actual name is Karen or Kevin.

Last edited:
Back