Thoughts on copper grease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniC

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on cooper grease, like this one for example. Says there it's good for CVD/CVA joints. I've always thought it was best to leave those dry and clean as any lubrication would just attract dirt which could potentially cause some binding or increased friction.
It also says it's good for metal to metal gears and pinions. What do folks do with open spur/pinion gears, lube or no lube? With something like the MAXX that has a gear cover I do use grease, but I'm unsure for RCs where the spur/pinion are exposed.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on cooper grease, like this one for example. Says there it's good for CVD/CVA joints. I've always thought it was best to leave those dry and clean as any lubrication would just attract dirt which could potentially cause some binding or increased friction.
It also says it's good for metal to metal gears and pinions. What do folks do with open spur/pinion gears, lube or no lube? With something like the MAXX that has a gear cover I do use grease, but I'm unsure for RCs where the spur/pinion are exposed.
No lubes here. Only in/on sealed components. Not sure about the pinion/spur cover on the maxx, don't have one. But if it's setup like the xmaxx, no sir..it's not sealed at all. I would recommend running any exposed gears dry. Lubes just become a liability once the dirt starts mixing in.

No lubes here. Only in/on sealed components. Not sure about the pinion/spur cover on the maxx, don't have one. But if it's setup like the xmaxx, no sir..it's not sealed at all. I would recommend running any exposed gears dry. Lubes just become a liability once the dirt starts mixing in.
Yes that's kind of what I was thinking... the MAXX gear cover is not perfect, it does let some dirt and sand in, but I've fixed that with some RTV silicone and now it's completely sealed.

Yes that's kind of what I was thinking... the MAXX gear cover is not perfect, it does let some dirt and sand in, but I've fixed that with some RTV silicone and now it's completely sealed.
If you've sealed it up, should be fine although truly not needed IMO ✌These gears are surprisingly tough. Stock TRX pinion/spur gears are not the best by any means(they're molded steel), but shouldn't need any lubrication.

I may be mistaken about the TRX pinion? It's likely machined steel.

Last edited:
I think there's some advice in the Minformation thread about lubes....

Vaseline Hml407 GIF by truTV’s Hack My Life

Jk all exposed areas like the guys said just run dry

I think there's some advice in the Minformation thread about lubes....

Vaseline Hml407 GIF by truTV’s Hack My Life

Jk all exposed areas like the guys said just run dry
Looks like someone's about to have a bad time?!🤣

Lucas Red'n'Tacky & Team Associated Diff fluid.

Back