Tekin RX8 GEN3/Redline T8 GEN3 1/8 Truggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (2000kV)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCB-MN

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kagama
  2. Kronos XTR
Hey all,

Anyone with some familiarity on the Tekin RX8 GEN3 ESC’s? I’ve got a couple of truggies to build up, one for the track and one for,………well,…not the track😈😈.

I’ve got some store credit so I kinda thinking that this might be a fun option. Reviews are great but I have little familiarity, I’m definitely not a racer.

https://images.amainhobbies.com/cdn-cgi/image/f=auto,width=950/images/large/tek/tektt2336.jpg

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

✌️-C

Forum literature seems to be of the consensus that the Tekins do not handle bashing well. I suppose it happened to enough people that it became a noted issue. Something about the landing impacts. I had one in my SCT410.3, but it seemed to be a little underwhelming. I put it in my Drag Slash, and it still didn't seem to impress me. Tried to program it a couple of times, but the end result was still the same. Maybe it was user error? Maybe it was on its way out. Either way, I sold it for 85 bucks. I found that a little disheartening, as I used to be a Tekin fan back when I was converting 1/8 nitros. I even used a R1 Pro for my Hyper 7. Added a couple of caps to help with the ripple and it ran fairly good. Then I upgraded to a Gen 1 RX8 and it was a monster. Gen 3? I was disappointed. 😕

For racing, I'd probably go with a Max8 or one or the XR series, either the Plus or the Pro. So far all I've gathered is that the BEC on one of them is stronger than the other; amperage is same. Can't remember if one can run 6S and the other only 4S. I also plan to race a MMX 6S; so far the only issues I've had with it are the dang blades on the fans breaking.

If you want to bash like there's no tomorrow, then I'd recommend a Max6, or even a Max5. They'll handle just about any normal sized truggy motor you throw at them.

Just my $1.50 in pennies. 😁

Forum literature seems to be of the consensus that the Tekins do not handle bashing well. I suppose it happened to enough people that it became a noted issue. Something about the landing impacts. I had one in my SCT410.3, but it seemed to be a little underwhelming. I put it in my Drag Slash, and it still didn't seem to impress me. Tried to program it a couple of times, but the end result was still the same. Maybe it was user error? Maybe it was on its way out. Either way, I sold it for 85 bucks. I found that a little disheartening, as I used to be a Tekin fan back when I was converting 1/8 nitros. I even used a R1 Pro for my Hyper 7. Added a couple of caps to help with the ripple and it ran fairly good. Then I upgraded to a Gen 1 RX8 and it was a monster. Gen 3? I was disappointed. 😕

For racing, I'd probably go with a Max8 or one or the XR series, either the Plus or the Pro. So far all I've gathered is that the BEC on one of them is stronger than the other; amperage is same. Can't remember if one can run 6S and the other only 4S. I also plan to race a MMX 6S; so far the only issues I've had with it are the dang blades on the fans breaking.

If you want to bash like there's no tomorrow, then I'd recommend a Max6, or even a Max5. They'll handle just about any normal sized truggy motor you throw at them.

Just my $1.50 in pennies. 😁
Thanks much! 🙏 Thats kinda what I found as well. I can get a good deal on a XR8plus with the 1900kv motor so I’ll probably go that route.

I would love a suggestion for a good racing type servo. I’m leaning Protek or Savox but I would be open to suggestions. I usually buy basher servos so “performance” is usually my goal.

✌️

You're welcome! If it's a smokin deal, then I say go for it.

As for servos, I've been running Hobbystar and so far I've only had one give up the ghost on me. My other racer friends have had two and the other one three. I will make a disclaimer on my friend that burnt up three Hobbystars: he's already burned up 5 servos, so I'm wondering if it's really Hobbystar or maybe something with his set up. His most recent burnup was a Protek 170BL. 😳

The Proteks are pretty nice with good transit times and torque numbers. One of the other racers here recently switched to Savox from Protek. He said the price was cheaper and the torque numbers were higher. I'm still on the fence for now between Savox and Protek, but if I were to get serious about a race, my choice would be one of those.

Went with Protek, need to use up some store credits and I’ve have good luck with them, however I usually buy far less expensive servos for my bashers. They have both the Castle monsters along with Zr8 Plus. I like Castle a lot but at the moment I can get a much better deal on the HW so I think I’ll use that set up, I’ve had good luck with HW as well and I can always change it out later if I don’t like it.

I need to dig a bit deeper to see if there is anything I need to address straight away but I would like to start with it as close to stock as possible and go from there.

Stuff should start arriving this weekend, this should be fun. 😃 getting excited. 🤗

Ooooh...it's gonna be fun! I might actually have some free time this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to run. Although that's if I supposedly didn't "forget" something my wife told me. 🤦‍♂️

So I couldn’t get the ZR8 plus, I was told that they were in stock and when I arrived, sadly, none. The owner felt bad so he gave me a banging deal on the Cobra 8 w/ the 2200kv motor. That should make it move pretty well. 😃💪👍👊

Definitely want to hear your take on the Cobra after you put it through it's paces. I almost pre-ordered one, but came to my senses right before I could press the button. 😄

Back