Kronos Stripping Diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just stripped the backend down and took some photos.
Originally I thought that the gears looked in good condition when I had them out but checking the photos again now, possibly the input gear is looking a bit work, it's hard to tell since I didn't do a very good job of cleaning the grease off.

During the disassembly, I noticed that the diffs bearings were ****ed leading to the input gear having a bit of play.
Luckily I have plenty of spare bearings kicking around so replaced those removing all of the play.
I put it all back together (dismantling and cleaning a shock in the process) with the hope that this would now be sorted but nope, still there :(

Again I couldn't see any cracks or misalignment or anything obvious in the diff case but I think it's gotten to the point where I am just going to replace the lot like VaporTrail says: a new diff case, input gear, diff gear.

View attachment 5731
View attachment 5727View attachment 5728View attachment 5729View attachment 5730
View attachment 5732View attachment 5733View attachment 5735
Yikes. That pinion gear has definitely seen better days. :oops: A fresh set should put a smile on your face again, although I'd take a closer look at the center and front gears just to be on the safe side.

Back