Kronos Stripped center diff screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try taking a torax thats one size bigger and hammering it into it, or get an easy out

Warm up the aluminium case with a heat gun. This either loosens the screws as it weakens the thread lock.

Question: how terribly are the screws f***ed up? You might clean the hexes with some isopropanol , use a new(!) hex driver (NO allen key!!) and try again...

Last edited:
Warm up the aluminium case with a heat gun. This either loosens the screws as it weakens the thread lock.

Question: how terribly are the screws f***ed up? You might clean the hexes with some isopropanol , use a new(!) hex driver (NO allen key!!) and try again...
They are just rounded off 2.0mm screw on the center diff. I fiddlesticked up and didn’t heat them up and I was also using a dynamite hex kit which in my opinion sucks. Too late but I ordered some new drivers MIP. I will try again later today.

I bought a dremel set from Harbor Freight. I cut a slot and use a screwdriver to get out. Heating up first would be a very good idea.
I will try that before getting new center diff. I have a dremel but I might not be able to get to the screw as it is imbedded in the diff

I bought a dremel set from Harbor Freight. I cut a slot and use a screwdriver to get out. Heating up first would be a very good idea.
This is actually a very good idea. Even if you cut a tiny gap into the housing, it will be still ok. Before buying a new diff case I would give it a try.

I've had success drilling the head off..I think they are 3mm screws holding the spur onto the diff cup? That should be about 1/8" drill bit. Only drill deep enough to get the head(tapered portion) of the screw off. Then after removing the remaining screws and spur,you should be able to remove the remaining part of the stripped screw with pliers.
I've done this many times with motor mount screws also.

This is actually a very good idea. Even if you cut a tiny gap into the housing, it will be still ok. Before buying a new diff case I would give it a try.
I tried that and couldn’t get it out. I drilled out the screw and was able to get the top off but the screw is still imbedded in the cup. What else can I do?? I could easily order a new one but I want to exhaust all methods before ordering a new one. Any advise on what to do from this point??

image.jpg

Clean off the grease, get out the dremmel and make a slit wide enough for a flat head screw driver, it looks like enough left to do it, or just buy a new diff

Clean off the grease, get out the dremmel and make a slit wide enough for a flat head screw driver, it looks like enough left to do it, or just buy a new diff
Trying that at the moment.

Mine was stripped too. I only wanted to put thicker wt oil. They "HRP" recommended I take off the other side instead which was easy. If I need a new spur gear I might just buy a whole new center diff from a parts dealer. Easier than the frustration.

Mine was stripped too. I only wanted to put thicker wt oil. They "HRP" recommended I take off the other side instead which was easy. If I need a new spur gear I might just buy a whole new center diff from a parts dealer. Easier than the frustration.
Yes they aren’t that expensive. If I’m short on time I’ll just buy a new one. It’s all about time. I ordered a new center diff for 75$

Yes they aren’t that expensive. If I’m short on time I’ll just buy a new one. It’s all about time. I ordered a new center diff for 75$
Ohh! I thought they were cheaper last I looked a few months ago. I was able to get the other 3 screws loose, but i still think it was stripped from the factory...or their screws are made from butter. This was mine....the left screw.
20220305_135734.jpg

Ohh! I thought they were cheaper last I looked a few months ago. I was able to get the other 3 screws loose, but i still think it was stripped from the factory...or their screws are made from butter. This was mine....the left screw.
View attachment 2346
What I did learn was that I should apply heat before trying to back them off. And my current driver set Isn’t the best quality. So I wil be upgrading that set shortly.

Has anyone ever tried putting the cup in oven for 5 or 10 minutes?... 300 degrees... i would think the aluminum cup would expand before the screw.. but if there is nothing to grab on to

Back