Sketer Sketer vs. Maxx vs. Kraton 4S shootout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to beat the value! And waiting a couple of days for parts by mail hasn't been an issue for me...I haven't needed anything that I can't get from RC Hobby Explosion, and Jenny's has parts in stock now. New chassis is less than $20, not that the Sketer is having trouble with the chassis...

Saw it allready. Nice comparison. Happy i chose the Sketer over the Maxx. Value wise 😉

Saw the video yesterday, very good and fair comparison! It would be nice to see a similar format video of the XTR 2022, Sledge and Kraton EXB! And I really hope the XTR wins that one too! 😅 Team Corally have a lot going for themselves, and it's a pity they have such a poor representation of their brand in the US, otherwise they'd be cashing in big time!

First all, let me state that I'm not a fanboy of any one brand: I own two Corally vehicles, three Arrma vehicles, and four Traxxas vehicles, and each brand has vehicles that suit my needs and desires. I'm not an extreme basher, and certainly not an expert in RC.

My opinion is that Arrma unsuccessfully tried to upgrade a 3s vehicle into a 4s vehicle. They beefed up the running gear, except for the slipper, and they totally ignored the chassis. Arrma spent over eighteen months on a redesign of their 4s line, and then totally blew it with the chassis and the lack of a center diff. They went the cheap route rather than the right route.

First all, let me state that I'm not a fanboy of any one brand: I own two Corally vehicles, three Arrma vehicles, and four Traxxas vehicles, and each brand has vehicles that suit my needs and desires. I'm not an extreme basher, and certainly not an expert in RC.

My opinion is that Arrma unsuccessfully tried to upgrade a 3s vehicle into a 4s vehicle. They beefed up the running gear, except for the slipper, and they totally ignored the chassis. Arrma spent over eighteen months on a redesign of their 4s line, and then totally blew it with the chassis and the lack of a center diff. They went the cheap route rather than the right route.
I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket either.. I have rigs from most all the popular manufacturers. They each have their virtues IMO.

Hard to beat the value! And waiting a couple of days for parts by mail hasn't been an issue for me...I haven't needed anything that I can't get from RC Hobby Explosion, and Jenny's has parts in stock now. New chassis is less than $20, not that the Sketer is having trouble with the chassis...
RC Hobby Explosion has been great for Corally parts: I often get them in three days. And I bought both my Radix6 and Muraco from them - their prices can't be beat, and their customer service is outstanding!

Thought some of you might enjoy this --

Right on Razor!! Great job! I cannot speak of the Sketer or 4s Kraton as I have no direct experience with them, but between your reports and others acrossed the net, I think you're right on the money. These rigs are all so different from one another that it truly depends what ones intended use is as to what best fits. Personally, I would choose the Kraton, only because it better fits my style that the others, despite the weak chassis. Keep up the great work!! 🍻

Saw the video yesterday, very good and fair comparison! It would be nice to see a similar format video of the XTR 2022, Sledge and Kraton EXB! And I really hope the XTR wins that one too! 😅 Team Corally have a lot going for themselves, and it's a pity they have such a poor representation of their brand in the US, otherwise they'd be cashing in big time!

Razorrc, would you care to explain your reasoning for saying the Kraton 6s is a truggy and is not a monster truck?

Razorrc, would you care to explain your reasoning for saying the Kraton 6s is a truggy and is not a monster truck?
I'm a bit curious about the classification of the 2 different categories used to describe the videos myself. I mean, basically, the first video "monster trucks" is essentially "short wheelbase" and the second, "Truggies" is "long wheelbase" which Razor did describe them as in the videos.
But yeah, the Outcast, Kraton, Sledge, and Kronos are all traditional truggies for all intensive purposes. The manufacturers define them as monster trucks due to the large tires. Put traditional "truggy" tires on any of them and well, they're just truggies. Which BTW happen to be my favorite class of RC's! :)

Ok, truggy is slang (although it’s become widely adopted) for a 1/8 race truck which evolved over time to look less like a truck/monster truck and more like a 1/8 buggy.

To me, the 3 defining features that differentiate it from a monster truck are a LCG chassis, wing, and streamlined body.

Ok, truggy is slang (although it’s become widely adopted) for a 1/8 race truck which evolved over time to look less like a truck/monster truck and more like a 1/8 buggy.

To me, the 3 defining features that differentiate it from a monster truck are a LCG chassis, wing, and streamlined body.
Here are my thoughts on truggy vs. monster truck.

In the simplest of terms, a truggy is a combination of a truck and a buggy. If you use wheelbase as a defining factor of a truggy, it falls short since buggies like a Typhon and a Radix are both short wheelbase vehicles.

One other defining item of a truggy is the wheels. A truggy generally has narrower wheels that are more like buggy wheels, while monster trucks have wider wheels.

The definition of a "truggy" seems to vary between manufacturers. Arrma calls a Kraton, which has a LWB, a monster truck, and the Talion, also LWB, is called a truggy. Corally calls LWB Muracos and Shoguns truggys, but the Punisher, which also has a LWB, is called a monster truck. The one thing that both Arrma and Corally agree on is the vehicles they call "truggys" have narrow tires, and the vehicles they call "monster trucks" have wider tires.

I guess it all boils down to how each of us define a truggy and a monster truck. In my mind, I would not call a Kraton a truggy: it does not have a LCG, it has a more truck-like body, and it has wide tires.

Back