Kronos XTR Side guards to keep debris out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniC

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
Hi Guys,

I was thinking it would be nice if the side guards where taller to avoid debris from getting in. I don't know of any aftermarket parts for this, but it should be a very simple thing to build, all you would need is a lexan sheet and then it can be cut to size and attached to the side guards with screws, nuts and some washers.
I've built a very quick mockup with a piece of paper just to show what I mean. The side guard can be cut at the top to match the body lines so it should be well covered and protected. I like that it could wrap around at the front all the way the the braces and it could even go around from side to side as a single piece.

What do you guys think? I know this would restrict some of the air flow, but maybe it won't be too bad.

PXL_20221212_145856665.MP.jpg

PXL_20221212_145917394.jpg

@DaniC Ah'm pretty sure @BashingBrian cobbled together something similar on an arrma mojave, worked really well too if ah mind right.

Sure did, I used Kydex because you can heat it up, form it to the shape you want and once cold it is tough and rigid..(y)

I think anything you can do to prevent debris getting into your gubbins is worth trying. Side guards under the body will help to some degree.

I'm perfectly happy with my dusty motors cover though. It keeps out debris, but still allows enough air to flow - it's made from mesh.

Using motor cooling fans is a must anyway on the XTR, regardless of how you go about preventing dirt getting into the works.

POS guards are highly recommended to prevent your shocks from getting blasted.

IMG_20211223_161605.jpg

Carbon fibre wrapped POS guards are pretty and functional.

IMG_20220915_123624.jpg

Motor cooling fans are essential either way...

IMG_20220509_221644.jpg

No more grass or chippings inside the chassis. Even during the 90°F heat, the Motor didn't get hotter than 160°F using the dusty motors and dual cooling fans.

I think anything you can do to prevent debris getting into your gubbins is worth trying. Side guards under the body will help to some degree.

I'm perfectly happy with my dusty motors cover though. It keeps out debris, but still allows enough air to flow - it's made from mesh.

Using motor cooling fans is a must anyway on the XTR, regardless of how you go about preventing dirt getting into the works.

POS guards are highly recommended to prevent your shocks from getting blasted.

View attachment 3167
Carbon fibre wrapped POS guards are pretty and functional.

View attachment 3168
Motor cooling fans are essential either way...

View attachment 3169

No more grass or chippings inside the chassis. Even during the 90°F heat, the Motor didn't get hotter than 160°F using the dusty motors and dual cooling fans.
Now you have me thinking... 🤔 It does look like a brilliant option. And you run it on the same sort of weather as me. 13T pinion?
My main concern with these has always been heat retention, but if you're saying that's not an issue then I might consider it!

Now you have me thinking... 🤔 It does look like a brilliant option. And you run it on the same sort of weather as me. 13T pinion?
My main concern with these has always been heat retention, but if you're saying that's not an issue then I might consider it!
Hehe, this time of year, we don't have to worry at all. I use the pinion supplied with the XTR - I don't generally run higher gearing. It's bonkers enough for me! 🤣👍

Thought I'd add this chart - it's in with the manual somewhere, but it's nice to see Corally's take on the subject.

Attachments

• Kronos_XTR_gear_ratio (1).pdf
    493.2 KB · Views: 61
Back