Kronos Shaft - Center - Front

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizfi24

Reaction score
Hi, i just bought a car. I did 4 rides on the car and noticed that the Drive Shaft Center drive has a lot of wear.

Is it engineering forgiveness?

What do you think about this ?
kronos 6s 2022

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.19 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.19 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.20 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.20 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.20 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 09.16.20.jpeg

Yes, I noticed the exact same thing on my XTR. Well, mine isn't as bad as yours but the wear is there. The problem is the angle at which the shaft is. And because of all the bracing this truck has they didn't have much space left to play with. You may have noticed already how hard it is to put the centre diff back in because of how tight is all is, be careful not the bend the rear shaft actually!
Now, your front shaft looks different than mine. The one that came with mine is thicker in the middle and gets thinner towards the tips, like the one depicted on the manual.
1662730011006.png

Now when you look for that part number on their website the picture shown is just like the one you have. So I don't know what's all that about, but my guess is that they made the one I have in an attempt to avoid that wear issue?
PXL_20220909_132935775.MP.jpg

PXL_20220909_132006039.jpg

Yup, common issue unfortunately.. I believe it's the result of the center differential offset being too great. The center shafts are also a tad too long, preventing the slip joint from sliding when the chassis is flexed, which can lead to bent center shafts as well.
I have seen the center shaft with the tapered ends as @DaniC shared, I'm sure helps. Weird thing is, I ordered the center front and rear drive shafts for my '21 XTR with the part numbers from the '22 XTR manual (00180-713,00180-715)and they do not have the taper at the ends of the shaft? Perhaps it was a "running" production change? IDK, but the new shafts are already showing wear marks from rubbing the diff cups..

Yup, common issue unfortunately.. I believe it's the result of the center differential offset being too great. The center shafts are also a tad too long, preventing the slip joint from sliding when the chassis is flexed, which can lead to bent center shafts as well.
I have seen the center shaft with the tapered ends as @DaniC shared, I'm sure helps. Weird thing is, I ordered the center front and rear drive shafts for my '21 XTR with the part numbers from the '22 XTR manual (00180-713,00180-715)and they do not have the taper at the ends of the shaft? Perhaps it was a "running" production change? IDK, but the new shafts are already showing wear marks from rubbing the diff cups..
Yeah, I don't see an easy way to fix this. I think we'll just have to think of that front centre shaft as a consumable item. At least they're not expensive!

Yeah, I don't see an easy way to fix this. I think we'll just have to think of that front centre shaft as a consumable item. At least they're not expensive!
Agreed, just have to accept it. Not a huge deal, but is an issue I hope TC fixes in future releases.
FWIW, the swiss drive cups that TC sent me under warranty are holding up great!! Funny that none of the cups on the stock rear stub axles or dogbone pins show any wear..can't say the same of the center dogbone pins. New ones are showing a bit of flat spotting already. Not complaining, just reporting my experiences.

Back