RV and Camping Discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepnut

Reaction score
Any other RV owners? We recently sold our first trailer and picked up a used Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DJSE. Haven't had a chance to camp yet, but we are really looking forward to the extra space!

IMG_6183.jpg

Very nice!

We jointed the "Covid Campers" with a small Wildwood 178BHSKX. It is our first camper. Camped a ton from summer 2020 till school started this year. Had one "big" trip - Houston to Orlando last summer - so far it was our only trip that needed multi-day pulls each direction. Two weeks total on the road, with a full week in Orlando. Most of our other trips are beach trips or weekend State park getaways.

20210319_140419.jpg

Very nice!

We jointed the "Covid Campers" with a small Wildwood 178BHSKX. It is our first camper. Camped a ton from summer 2020 till school started this year. Had one "big" trip - Houston to Orlando last summer - so far it was our only trip that needed multi-day pulls each direction. Two weeks total on the road, with a full week in Orlando. Most of our other trips are beach trips or weekend State park getaways.

View attachment 249
Nice! I like the floorplan on that Wildwood. I was considering something similar, but needed just a bit more sleeping space and I preferred a bed that runs front to back instead of sideways. Sounds like you've put it through it's paces already!

We've yet to go on a trip longer than 4 hours. We still prefer staying in state for most of our trips. Luckily, Michigan has plenty of great places to camp. Our favorite is over on lake Michigan. We tend to take a trip to Grand Haven at least once a year. Last year we went to Sleeping Bear dunes and that was great! Since our old trailer was only designed to sleep 5 and we had 6 in it, plus it had a small refrigerator with no freezer, we never took a trip longer than 3 days. Maybe we'll go on a longer trek with the new trailer.

We have been RV trailer camping for about 8 years with the boys. We've had this Mallard M312 for about 4 years now, we got a deal on it, or I wouldn't have bought such a long trailer. Our first trailer was a 'repo', and with that came a long list of issues, and so for about 4 years I was consistently fixing it. My wife wanted a tester trailer to see if we would actually use it. Turns out the family loved it, and we were camping about 30 days a year (a lot for us). So we started looking for a newer one after I refused to replace more plumbing and a waste tank, but I wasn't going to pay a ton (which limits you severely). Anyway, I was originally looking for a 26-28' bunkhouse, but couldn't pass it up. Its about 34' long and has everything we could ever want.

tempImagecfMSFJ.png

Looks like an awesome unit! Did you get it before the pandemic price craziness?
Yeah, I got it in 2018. I just happened to catch it online. My buddy and me were going flying (he has a small plane) and we decided to fly to Boise's Camping World to see it. MSRP was $38K. They were advertising it for $19,999. I thought it was a joke, but it turned out that they just wanted it off the lot, and since they were the biggest camping world in the country, they can do it I guess. I jumped on it.

I think that I could get $25-30k for it now. My buddy just sold his trailer after two years, and made $3k.

Its funny you say that though, I got my wife's 2019 Mazda CX-5 for $11K under MSRP in March of 2020 because of COVID. At that time there was no shortage of vehicles, and no one was going into dealerships. They pretty much were trying to give away vehicles.

Yeah, I got it in 2018. I just happened to catch it online. My buddy and me were going flying (he has a small plane) and we decided to fly to Boise's Camping World to see it. MSRP was $38K. They were advertising it for $19,999. I thought it was a joke, but it turned out that they just wanted it off the lot, and since they were the biggest camping world in the country, they can do it I guess. I jumped on it.

I think that I could get $25-30k for it now. My buddy just sold his trailer after two years, and made $3k.

Its funny you say that though, I got my wife's 2019 Mazda CX-5 for $11K under MSRP in March of 2020 because of COVID. At that time there was no shortage of vehicles, and no one was going into dealerships. They pretty much were trying to give away vehicles.
Yeah, I wound up getting more for my 4 year old trailer than I paid for it new when I sold it in October. We got a great deal on this one considering the market, but it was probably still higher than what we would have paid for something similar two years ago. I guess it all works out since we got more for our old one when we sold it.

The Wife and I are thinking we need to do one, I can just use it to live out of and do field adjustments for catastrophe stuff but still on the fence.

Zombie patrol. I generally haul this with a Ram 3500 Dually, but I've been known to improvise...
2015 Votage V3990 TH. Can fit lotsa Toys in this one. Haven't hauled it much in the last year or so, she's needing some work and just sits in my back yard until I can get to it.
King Master, full size bathtub, 1&1/2 baths, double queen happijack in the garage, single bunk/balcony, granite surfaces, 3 A/C's, and party deck/ ramp door. I've hauled bikes, a golf cart, and now my SXS in the garage. I miss camping, my wife doesn't like it and I work locally so she sits and waits for the next big trip. Hopefully AZ, UT, or NV in the next year...

IMAG1691.jpg

IMAG1516.jpg

The Wife and I are thinking we need to do one, I can just use it to live out of and do field adjustments for catastrophe stuff but still on the fence.
Now is not the greatest time to buy if you're just getting into it. Prices are up a good 30% from pre-pandemic. And that's average. Some have gone up much more. There are price increases every month from the manufacturers when there used to only be one price increase a year.

Zombie patrol. I generally haul this with a Ram 3500 Dually, but I've been known to improvise...
2015 Votage V3990 TH. Can fit lotsa Toys in this one. Haven't hauled it much in the last year or so, she's needing some work and just sits in my back yard until I can get to it.
King Master, full size bathtub, 1&1/2 baths, double queen happijack in the garage, single bunk/balcony, granite surfaces, 3 A/C's, and party deck/ ramp door. I've hauled bikes, a golf cart, and now my SXS in the garage. I miss camping, my wife doesn't like it and I work locally so she sits and waits for the next big trip. Hopefully AZ, UT, or NV in the next year...

View attachment 308

View attachment 309
Wow! Beautiful! The Challenger is nice too.

Now is not the greatest time to buy if you're just getting into it. Prices are up a good 30% from pre-pandemic. And that's average. Some have gone up much more. There are price increases every month from the manufacturers when there used to only be one price increase a year.
Oh I know man I won't be doing it for awhile, also thought about a toy hauler and getting a small car to toe around. wont be for a couple years though, wife and I are looking at moving to another state first.

Back