Shogun Remove twig from the fan and motor cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opua

Reaction score
Hi, I have to remove a twig that got inside my esc so remove the plastic cover too, but to remove the motor cables do I have to be careful not to tear them and damage them, or are they easily removed?

If your using the stock ESC the TOROX 185 all you should have to do is just unplug the motor wires from the ESC. They should be fairly easy to unplug, just don't jerk or yank on the.

Yes, they are incredibly tight! If you're leaving the ESC in place hold it down with one hand or you might break the mount off, then with the other hand try to grab one cable at a time as low as possible and start twisting it from one side to the other and as you do that start pulling it up, it should start to come out slowly. Be patient and take it easy, they will come out eventually!
Perhaps using a tool like a shock shaft grabber or something might help to grab it from the banana plug directly without damage, but I haven't tried. Using normal pliers will break the heatshrink, I did that once and had to put new heatshrink on.

IMG_20220509_221644.jpg

Do yourself a massive favour - and get a Dusty Motors chassis shroud. 👍

I have heart it makes the electronics real hot.
Not as hot as having a twig - or grass - or gravel in your ESC's fan. My motor was the only thing that gave rise to any concern during my first few runs. I'm using a stock motor and esc on 6S.

After getting >180° degree runs on grass, I fitted this:

IMG_20220915_123624.jpg

Then there were 3 fans to worry about! So finally, there needed to be a way of stopping all the fan stopping fodder from getting in.

A shroud was the solution. I did 62mph on stock gearing using this setup, in hot (for the UK) 90°F heat.

My best 0-60mph time was 4.29secs

Screenshot_20220610_201105_com.gps.revogi.jpg

The shroud still allows air through, but may reduce airflow slightly. If where you run is super clean - no shroud might be a better option.

If you have blown fans and overheated ESC and motor - a shroud is better. 👍

Back