One battery vs two?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels007

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Sketer
Is there a difference when considering one battery vs two batteries in regards to storage? For example, would one 6s 5000mah battery last as long as two 3s 5000mah batteries.

In theory they should be the same as long as you have same discharge rates and capacities....

My understanding should be identical if all else is equal, cells are the same in both. I use 2 3s batteries rather than 1 6s as I also run 3s cars so gives me more usage..

In storage the number of cells is irrelevant as to how long a battery will last.

Or are you asking when you are running your rc car? Then what @Gazktm660 said.
My understanding should be identical if all else is equal, cells are the same in both. I use 2 3s batteries rather than 1 6s as I also run 3s cars so gives me more usage..

Keep in mind that you should run both of the 3s batteries equally if you can. If you run one more than the other too much the ir of the cells can become mismatched enough that when run in series one of the batteries will deplete faster than the other and since your esc only sees total voltage you run the risk of running one battery too low.

In storage the number of cells is irrelevant as to how long a battery will last.

Or are you asking when you are running your rc car? Then what @Gazktm660 said.

Keep in mind that you should run both of the 3s batteries equally if you can. If you run one more than the other too much the ir of the cells can become mismatched enough that when run in series one of the batteries will deplete faster than the other and since your esc only sees total voltage you run the risk of running one battery too low.
Exactly this 👍
Tbh I have a few batteries and they're all matched, I only run 4 of the 3s batteries as pairs for my 6s truck.
With 4 other 3s batteries as singles for 3s and also doubled for 6s if needed, although still paired and always charged/used In pairs on the same day, each battery should be identical with regards to usage, charging/discharge/storage..

Main reason I got 3s batteries for the 6s truck was if a cell goes bad I've still got the second battery that can be used solely for 3s duties..

Exactly this 👍
Tbh I have a few batteries and they're all matched, I only run 4 of the 3s batteries as pairs for my 6s truck.
With 4 other 3s batteries as singles for 3s and also doubled for 6s if needed, although still paired and always charged/used In pairs on the same day, each battery should be identical with regards to usage, charging/discharge/storage..

Main reason I got 3s batteries for the 6s truck was if a cell goes bad I've still got the second battery that can be used solely for 3s duties..
Good point! If you drop a cell in a 6s pack, it's pretty much a wasted pack.
Flipside is having to secure 2 separate packs,charging separately and of course having 2 plugs to wrestle apart.
I like the versatility of combining them but Slick makes a good point about unmatched packs.
TBH I mix n match all the time, I don't really want to know about IR and such. Ignorance is bliss🤪
I guess this is one of the reasons I just buy the cheapest battery that meets my needs😎

I'm not one to be giving battery advice I guess. Like I said, I've mixed packs, disabled LVC so I can run 5s, ect..🍻

I'm not one to be giving battery advice I guess. Like I said, I've mixed packs, disabled LVC so I can run 5s, ect..🍻
See that's why you Should you are like an experienced cougar in the land of batteries!

Back