Niekname's janky Punisher basher build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niekname

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my Punisher for bout half a year now, and it's been a great rig! Recently I started spending more time here on the forum, and noticed there is only one Punisher build thread, so I wanna add mine to that now.

The Punisher is actually my first 1/8 rc car! My very first car was a Granite 4x4 mega (so the brushed). Which was a great car to learn to wrench and drive, but eventually I just wanted MORE POWER!! I am also still a teenager, and RC is actually quite hard to get in without to much money to spend, so if there is a cheaper way, I am doing it. I don't see it as a problem, I like the challenge of coming up with my own (janky) solutions. In this first post want to catch y'all up to were it's now.

The story how I got my car is actually quite fun, ofcourse I bought second hand to save money, but the person I was buying from was actually a reviewer. If you watch dutch RC content you probably know em (RCblog.nl). This was great as I got to meet him (I also did a video with them later), but also because they only used the car for the video, so I could see exactly what they did to it, and it was basically new.

The first thing that broke was the wing retainer, I 3d-printed a replacement:
IMG_20240530_154913653~2.jpg

This printed version also didn't last much longer than stock, I could probably design one strong enough but decided that was not worth the trouble, or at least not right now. So did I buy I new one? No, I drilled two holes in a piece of wood and called it a day XD. But cmon, it looks glorious:
IMG_20240530_154854035_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

(Sorry that it is a bit blurry)

Next I noticed that the motor got hot quite easily, even on 4s (never driven it on 6s). So I bought an RocketRC fan from AliExpress and printed a holder for it. This was a pre-made model, as I wasn't that good at CAD at the time. I am going to design my own as I would like to improve some things, but I will talk about that later.
IMG_20240530_160036453.jpg
\

Then I did some tuning, I will make a quick sum up:
Increased ride height: noticeably quicker on grass, on the road it slides a bit more, but I find that fun to drive.
Shock fluid rear: instead of stock 500 CST, I put 550 CST. This made jump lips feel WAY smoother. Also a bit easier to get the rear end out, which I like, as mentioned.
Chamfer rear: I played with this, but eventually left it on stock. This felt like the right amount of slipping for me, on asphalt at least. Didn't notice that much difference on grass, but also didn't test as extensively on grass.
Shock fluid front: from stock 600 CST (I believe), to 640 CST. This made jump lips and landings feel even smoother. If you want to tune you Punisher I would recommend starting with stiffer oil, maybe even stiffer than me but I haven't tried that. I feel like you could definitely go stiffer though.

Then my shock pistons broke, took me a bit to realize what was off. I haven't seen this problem much, so I'm curious, has anyone else has this problem?
IMG_20240530_161517255~2.jpg

I didn't wanna buy new ones, as they broke quite easily, so I went for another janky solution: 3D-printed shock pistons! Honestly I wouldn't have even thought this was possible if I didn't come across a model of these by accident. I tried that model first, they even broke faster then stock but I knew it was possible, so I designed my own and this time made them thick! This is the second gen, but I am going to make a third gen. On this gen I made a cut out for the bolt, but only after I printed them I realized it made way more sense to make a bore that the O-ring fits in.
IMG_20240530_162319037~2.jpg

(Sorry for the bad picture, it was quite hard to photograph it from the side)
I haven't tested these ones yet, as my car is broken at the moment. When taking of the shock where I needed to fit this piston, I stripped the bolt connecting the shock to the arm. Even with a kobalt bit I couldn't get a hole deep enough to use a screw extractor. So my brother took the arm and shock with him to try on his drill press. Do you guys have any tips to remove stripped screws? I also noticed my bits are starting to get dull, which is leading to easier stripping. What bits do you have and how are they holding up? My screwdriver takes 1/4" bits. The bits I have now are random amazon cheap ones, so I am not surprised they are starting to fail. I have also taken a look at the Wera wrenches, although they seem great in not stripping screws, they don't look that comfortable. Does any one have any experience with them? Any help is appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Also, I forgot to mention I also 3D-printed custom wing holder "tabs". See the details here:
https://makerworld.com/en/models/403812

Another addition, the things I want to do to my car in the future are (in order):
  1. Servo saver tightening, maybe I wanna see if I can create some sort of damper with TPU, instead of thightening the spring all the way up or buying a custom spring.
  2. Custom cooling duct: as mentioned, I want to create my own cooling duct with directed airflow.
  3. Stiffer fluid in center diff, to have a bit less ballooning at the front wheels.

Last edited:
Great info here. I love the plywood wing washer. Can you make me some - I'm out of ply! 😝

I baby my XTR around, albeit very rapidly, but I've been warned that the shocks are weak and the standoffs snap etc.

There are lots of people just using Kraton shocks and titanium standoffs, which apparently helps.

My rig still looks like this from 2021:

PXL_20240519_194649157.jpg
PXL_20240517_143148510.jpg

To be honest, it's so unbroken, I must be doing it wrong....😜
PXL_20240519_191856632.jpg

Regards your servo saver - the only acceptable solution is to change the spring for one of these:

IMG_20220630_114757.jpg

Stock on left, upgrade on right.

Lee Spring LC 085J 0 M - it was ordered to spec and bought in a batch of about 20 springs.

Full details are discussed in a thread here:

https://www.corallyforum.com/threads/shogun-and-servo-high-torque.1166/#post-16669

Hope this helps.

👍

I forgot to mention, but I have indeed snapped a standoff, the rear ones aren't HD stock, replaced them both with HD and never snapped them again. I have thought about getting kraton shocks, but I think with stiffer oil these shocks are fine. They could be even stiffer, but I could also print a shock piston with smaller holes to get the same result. Maybe I'll look into that.

As for the servo saver, I read that thread yesterday and the spring is quite a good find. But I love tinkering around with stuff like this so I am going to try some things with TPU. If I cant make something acceptable I'll just tighten it up and see how long it lasts, if the lifetime gets shorter and shorter I'll probably replace it but for one spring the fees are so expensive. Mabye I gotta buy them in bulk as well and sell them.

I have seen your rig in other posts as well and absolutely love it! Also never seen it dirty XD. Do the carbon inserts in the arms actually make a difference? To me it always seems like they make the more brittle because the arms can flex less, but that's just looking at them.

I forgot to mention, but I have indeed snapped a standoff, the rear ones aren't HD stock, replaced them both with HD and never snapped them again. I have thought about getting kraton shocks, but I think with stiffer oil these shocks are fine. They could be even stiffer, but I could also print a shock piston with smaller holes to get the same result. Maybe I'll look into that.

As for the servo saver, I read that thread yesterday and the spring is quite a good find. But I love tinkering around with stuff like this so I am going to try some things with TPU. If I cant make something acceptable I'll just tighten it up and see how long it lasts, if the lifetime gets shorter and shorter I'll probably replace it but for one spring the fees are so expensive. Mabye I gotta buy them in bulk as well and sell them.

I have seen your rig in other posts as well and absolutely love it! Also never seen it dirty XD. Do the carbon inserts in the arms actually make a difference? To me it always seems like they make the more brittle because the arms can flex less, but that's just looking at them.
You can tighten the spring right up - but then you have no servo saving action. 🤷

IMG_20220606_141433.jpg

You may as well just 3D print a solid crank with no cam. Unless you can 3D print a spring! 😝

Love the idea of custom shock pistons! 🤩 Very cool. I suppose there'd be nothing stopping you from making your own bypass pistons - like the 16mm MIP bypass1 jobbies. 👍

Im going to see how it does when thightend up halfway, and then Im gonna play with some flexible 3d prints to see if I can create some sort of damper.

And I guess you could probably print those pistons, not the valves though. But it would make more sense to just 3d print a lot of pistons with different sizes. They cost basically nothing to print.

Last edited:
Good to see another Punisher on the forum😎 Most definitely the nicest looking of the Corally 6s bodyshells!

The stock shocks are under-sprung and under damped. I've currently got a set of Kagama shocks (check the eBay breakers/Jenny's), or fit the hard springs, HD pistons, HD rod ends, and 1000wt shock oil. This helps on hard landings and general bashing about.

I also went up to 300k syrup in the centre diff - stiffens it up, but not too much to risk excess drivetrain wear/damage.

Also the wing washer - I thought about plywood, but I just cut another from a bit of spare packing I had. I made a couple for spare so when I get a 'skill deficit', the bolts can pull through without breaking the wing.

I've seen your wing washer yeah! Definitely looks better, but I am surprised that it holds up well enough, it looks quite thin. For me I sometimes tore trough them when scraping in a wheelie. I am also not too concerned about the wing breaking as it is quite flexible. And if it breaks I will just 3d print a new one :p.

For what I do, the shocks feel quite decent how I got them right now, only not when jumping. For jumping they could be way stiffer, but I mostly drive around on grass and pavement.

Great info here. I love the plywood wing washer. Can you make me some - I'm out of ply! 😝

I baby my XTR around, albeit very rapidly, but I've been warned that the shocks are weak and the standoffs snap etc.

There are lots of people just using Kraton shocks and titanium standoffs, which apparently helps.

My rig still looks like this from 2021:

View attachment 6282View attachment 6283
To be honest, it's so unbroken, I must be doing it wrong....😜
View attachment 6284

Regards your servo saver - the only acceptable solution is to change the spring for one of these:

View attachment 6285
Stock on left, upgrade on right.

Lee Spring LC 085J 0 M - it was ordered to spec and bought in a batch of about 20 springs.

Full details are discussed in a thread here:

https://www.corallyforum.com/threads/shogun-and-servo-high-torque.1166/#post-16669

Hope this helps.

👍
I bought some of these springs too, definitely needed in the Muraco, the Radix steers much better so will only upgrade it in that soon enough, be interesting to see how it effects the Radix… TBC

Back