Maintenance on oils (shocks & diffs)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunnyCar

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Sketer
I have read several times that many people are replacing the oils eventually once a year, mostly when doing a general maintenance in winter time and that seems to me a quite practical approach.

However, when reading the maintenance instructions of TC they recommended an oil change on shock/diffs every 40 to 50 runs.

Honestly, I have some doubts that the silicone oil is noticeable degraded after a total runtime of about 25 hours.

How often do you replace the oils in shocks and diffs?

Maintenance wise, the only time I change shock oil is if I spring a leak or when the oil starts to look dirty. On diffs, after I know that there is enough fluid in there and I happy with the performance I never look back (aside from a complete teardown and rebuild...which I rarely do).

I do it when they are brand new, mostly to check if the factory filled them correctly and to fill them with the fluid of my choice. as far as how frequently is a matter of preference for some people, I'd guess every 25-35 packs depending on running conditions of course

I just do it when I first get the rig, then maybe if I see some performance issues but I generally use the motto “if it not broke don’t fix it”.

How often do you service your 1:1 car? Do you do it at the Manufacturer's recommended intervals? or do you leave it till something fails?
Oils degrade over time, granted parts on RC cars are a lot cheaper than 1:1 cars, but at the end of the day, regular maintenance will cause parts to last a lot longer.

I'm always surprised at how dirty the shock and diff oils are, but I use the truck often, and I'll be putting 4 or 5 packs through it (or until something breaks that I can't fix at the bash spot).
As a rough estimate, it's probably about 50 hours of running for the diffs.
For the shocks, they get topped up when needed, every few weeks I suppose.

Back