Looking for 1/10 crawler kits ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project_revenant

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Sketer
I know this isn’t a Corally question but… This is a classy place with lots of intelligent RC guys so maybe you all can point me in a direction. I have never owned a crawler. That sounds weird for me to say out loud because I have literally owned or operated almost everything that is RC. But I have never ever owned a “trail/crawler” type truck. I want it to be a kit. Don’t want anything that is RTR. I’m not a beginner but also not an engineer. I was looking at the TRX4 but got me thinking, that’s Traxxas. So what else is out there that may be more immersive, more scale, more trail, more crawly, and not Traxxas. Or is that just the go to Trail/rock truck? I’d like to hear your experience on what’s worth getting. But it must me a kit. I do like the scale look but it’s not a deal killer if it’s not. Thanks in advance for the advice.

The TRX4 is popular but IMHO its mislabeled, in stock condition it should be called a trail rider, again that's my opinion. I love my axials and the wifes new ryft is pretty sweet and already has the clearance to do some real crawling but the Capra is SICK with its rear wheel steering goodness. Now I know the capra is called a trail buggy but honestly Everyone's naming conventions is a mild suggestion to what they could be used for, the USER really determines its use.

This is all just my opinion, and I will admit I am biased because I don't sell Traxxas out of my shop, so I am trying to stay away from them and Arrma (when I can, sometimes I can't resist).

Having said that, I have had 2 TRX4 Blazers, and TRX4 Sport builders kit. When I started the business, I ended up getting rid of those, and buying and Enduro Builders Kit, and added the IFS for the hell of it. They don't have portals, but I love the OD that you get out of the box if you want it when you build the transmission. The kit is quality, and doesn't brake the bank. I added a lot of brass, and the thing is beast, and hangs with my brother in law's TRX4 (the bastard that got me into RC!). I put a Hobbywing Fusion in both TRX4's, and now the Enduro, and wouldn't ever change from that (except for maybe an HW AXE system), they are the smoothest thing out there. I also think that the standard motor and servo in the TRX4 burn out frequently (it happened to me), but that is true of any RTR. If you are strictly looking for RTR, out of the box the TRX4 is a beast through, and will crawl with a lot of built crawlers that people sink a lot of money into.

Just my 2 cents.

tempImagezWO2JS.png

On a budget I say trx 4 sport all day. Thing is super tough. Axial wraith was also a great truck for me but it's a little older now. Capra looks nice as well but never had one. We also crawl a yeti as well believe it or not it does pretty great with a locker up front. It's a belly dragger tho

On a budget I say trx 4 sport all day. Thing is super tough. Axial wraith was also a great truck for me but it's a little older now. Capra looks nice as well but never had one. We also crawl a yeti as well believe it or not it does pretty great with a locker up front. It's a belly dragger tho
Still have my Gen1 Wraith, that rig is still stock and can still whoop it out on some courses.

Crawlers/Trail rigs cost more than 1/8 bashers 😉🤣🤣 trust me..

I'm no expert in this field more just a love of tinkering with stuff, all my rigs run either Castle or Holmeshobbies electronics.
I have a couple of on going projects and in no particular order they are RC4WD Marlin TF2, Vanquish VS4-10 Phoenix Portal and a Gmade Buffalo pickup. The only finished rig currently is my SCX10iii.. (completely finished 🤣🤣)

I bought all these because I love kits, the Axial was my first and was bought in the original 2020 lockdown.!! It's a great kit to build and I really enjoyed it, fit and finish are superb for the most part 👍🏼 it's totally stock except for the driver 😉 ( have changed the front bumper and wheels since that photo )

IMG_6134.jpeg

The Vanquish is amazing, the gearbox is a work of genius in my opinion, fit and finish are excellent on these and I would class them as one of the top brands, the TF2 I had to buy because I wanted something with leaf springs 🤪 it's also the best choice if you want something really scale and realistic looking, the Gmade is a Korean brand that does so many good things at a lot less cost than the other brands, it also has a few tricks up it's sleeve..

So that's where I am 🤔 two years ago I had none and now I have four.!!
You may notice I haven't mentioned the TRX, I didn't buy one of those as in my opinion it's too expensive for what you get..!!
I spoke with quite a few people before I bought my Axial who said the TRX is good but you need to throw a whole heap of cash at it for it to be really good, so I chose the Axial as it's really good straight out the box. ( I do love the look of the new TRX Bronco though 😍)

It's all very addictive and my top piece of advice for you would be choose a price of what you want to spend and stick to it..!!
Upgrades and mods will get out of hand pretty quickly if you don't and it's quite hard not to just keep buying upgrades for these things.
I have noticed that Axial and Traxxass seem to have the best aftermarket support from external brands if that's what your into.👍🏼

Have fun with whatever you choose and post some pics when you get yours..

I've been wanting to get into crawling for a while now but haven't gotten round to it, so I'm no expert. But I'm planning to get into it with one of these two (or both!):
- FTX Outback GEO
- Gmade GS02F Buffalo

They seem excellent value for the money, good quality and good reviews.

I've been wanting to get into crawling for a while now but haven't gotten round to it, so I'm no expert. But I'm planning to get into it with one of these two (or both!):
- FTX Outback GEO
- Gmade GS02F Buffalo

They seem excellent value for the money, good quality and good reviews.
Out of those two I'd say go for the Gmade 👍🏼

Thanks for all the info guys I really been tryna dig a little deeper. I keep circling back around to the traxxas kits “kinda makes me sad, I don’t wanna be that guy” They just seem like to me (a lehman), to have lots of easy upgradabilities and they just seem pretty straight foreword. I really want to like Axial but seem to get lost in the model options. Is there a video or article that breaks them down? I’m honestly leaning pretty hard toward the TRX4 and not the sport cuz I like the lockers and 2 speed trani looks like more to fiddle with! Why does traxxas stuff just seem so easy and straight foreword to me. I’m I just one of those pushover consumers? ☹️

Thanks for all the info guys I really been tryna dig a little deeper. I keep circling back around to the traxxas kits “kinda makes me sad, I don’t wanna be that guy” They just seem like to me (a lehman), to have lots of easy upgradabilities and they just seem pretty straight foreword. I really want to like Axial but seem to get lost in the model options. Is there a video or article that breaks them down? I’m honestly leaning pretty hard toward the TRX4 and not the sport cuz I like the lockers and 2 speed trani looks like more to fiddle with! Why does traxxas stuff just seem so easy and straight foreword to me. I’m I just one of those pushover consumers? ☹️
Well yes, Traxxas is a better brand to get into the hobby because the path for all models is more well laid out for your. I actually didn't realise it until I read you last comment! That's probably the reason I went with Traxxas for my first RC! But now I kinda wish I hadn't, I mean they're excellent cars but overpriced and overrated. If money is not an issue and your heart's leaning towards the TRX4 I'd say go for it! This hobby is about finding what makes us happy, the right choice for you is not necessarily the right choice for me etc.

One bonus with the Traxxass over the Axial is at least you don't have to deal with HorizonHobby..!! 😉🤣🤣

Sounds like you've made your mind up to me, so what color Bronco are you going to get..?? 😎
Jeez haven’t even thought about that other than I want to paint up my own body. I don’t think many people do that anymore.

Well this happened today. Waiting on a few upgrades the LHS didn’t have today. Thanks for all the help. ps. Team Corally is still my favorite. Don’t worry I didn’t sell out. View attachment 1373View attachment 1374
Nice! Tough rig, maybe get some extra portal gears I've broken a couple but mostly driver error. Also overdrive the front diff helps a bunch. Just throwing ideas out, congrats on the new rig

Glad you had fun building it man!!!
Btw good video and I dug the music transitions, went from a smooth jazz to a techno funk...

BTW I still have your music stuck in my head and its a sight to see a middle aged fat boy walking around pretending to be Kenny G then stop and pretend to twirl glow sticks, wife thinks I had a aneurism :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Well I don't have any crawlers and don't know anything about them, but this is what I would do if I wanted crawling
- take out motor & ESC, take wheels off my XTR
- get a 17mm-->24mm hex conversion kit
- install some humongous 1:5th tires, like this
- install the biggest sensored ESC and motor I can fit (maybe?), like this MMX8S combo
and then do some "power" crawling in the local woods :ROFLMAO:
Face Smile GIF

Back