Kronos XTR 2022 build by Starfox2005

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfox2005

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
IMG_20220402_210638558.jpg

Here's my new Team Corally Kronos XTR! I'm definitely gonna make it a 6s truck but I'm not sure yet about what electronics I'll be putting in. Out of the box I love the look of it and all the 7075 aluminum parts!! Really like how the suspension feels and I expect that it'll be a really durable basher! Another big thanks to @WoodiE for putting on the forum giveaway and making another awesome forum!

IMG_20220406_200637324.jpg

IMG_20220406_200633098.jpg

IMG_20220406_200810827.jpg

IMG_20220406_200701957.jpg

IMG_20220406_200643511.jpg

Always nice to look at.

And here comes the silly question of the day: What electronics are going to install? :cool::LOL:

Always nice to look at.

And here comes the silly question of the day: What electronics are going to install? :cool::LOL:
Honestly don't know yet. Definitely making it a 6s. I'm thinking I'll reuse a old motor and buy a new Hobbywing quick run 150 amp ESC and go with a 25kg servo. Really whatever I afford here soon. If I was able to afford it I'd like to put the stock Corally 6s system into it and try that out because I've heard good things but It doesn't make sense for me to have to buy another motor to go with that ESC. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Honestly don't know yet. Definitely making it a 6s. I'm thinking I'll reuse a old motor and buy a new Hobbywing quick run 150 amp ESC and go with a 25kg servo. Really whatever I afford here soon. If I was able to afford it I'd like to put the stock Corally 6s system into it and try that out because I've heard good things but It doesn't make sense for me to have to buy another motor to go with that ESC. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I say Max8 https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-EZRUN-MAX8-XT-90-Program/dp/B01093S4S2 or if it will fit you could always try a "Max6" https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.8.76283168FUcCDV

I'm thinking about putting a Spektrum firma 150 amp ESC into it. How would I mount it though? @RCproponent
Don't do it: the Spektrum 150A ESCs have a habit of catching fire. Do a web search for it and look at the reviews on Amazon (link below) and you will see pics of the damage that occurs as a result of the fires. I pulled the Spektrum 150A ESC and motor out of my Kraton 6s and replaced them with a Castle MMX 8s system because of this.

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Firma-Brushless-Smart-SPMXSE1150/dp/B07XTGQ1SS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=8C83NS828FFI&keywords=spektrum+150A+esc&qid=1650292699&sprefix=spektrum+150a+esc,aps,77&sr=8-1#customerReviews

I'm thinking about putting a Spektrum firma 150 amp ESC into it. How would I mount it though? @RCproponent
Double stick tape is how I did it in mine. It didn’t last long though.. (not because of a fire but just because I wanted more power) I put a max6 and 4092 hobby star 1730kv … it was a fricken rocket! So fast.. now it has a stock Kronos system in it.. haven’t driven it since I did that. Been a busy few months for me..

Don't do it: the Spektrum 150A ESCs have a habit of catching fire. Do a web search for it and look at the reviews on Amazon (link below) and you will see pics of the damage that occurs as a result of the fires. I pulled the Spektrum 150A ESC and motor out of my Kraton 6s and replaced them with a Castle MMX 8s system because of this.

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Firma-Brushless-Smart-SPMXSE1150/dp/B07XTGQ1SS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=8C83NS828FFI&keywords=spektrum+150A+esc&qid=1650292699&sprefix=spektrum+150a+esc,aps,77&sr=8-1#customerReviews

They can't all be bad though right? My dad's Kraton 6s has the stock Spektrum firma electronics and it has no issues at all. I would think that they can't all be bad or horizon wouldn't make any money and loose more on warranty replacement ESC's?

Double stick tape is how I did it in mine. It didn’t last long though.. (not because of a fire but just because I wanted more power) I put a max6 and 4092 hobby star 1730kv … it was a fricken rocket! So fast.. now it has a stock Kronos system in it.. haven’t driven it since I did that. Been a busy few months for me..
Sounds good!

They can't all be bad though right? My dad's Kraton 6s has the stock Spektrum firma electronics and it has no issues at all. I would think that they can't all be bad or horizon wouldn't make any money and loose more on warranty replacement ESC's?

Sounds good!
Spektrum is replacing those ESCs like crazy, due to fire and failure. In my opinion, saving a few dollars up front to buy a known bad ESC just doesn't make sense. It's your choice, but either the Torox 185 or the Hobbywing Max8 are better choices than that Spektrum ESC.

Spektrum is replacing those ESCs like crazy, due to fire and failure. In my opinion, saving a few dollars up front to buy a known bad ESC just doesn't make sense. It's your choice, but either the Torox 185 or the Hobbywing Max8 are better choices than that Spektrum ESC.
I agree, even as the cheapskate that I am. It's a known issue that's pretty much been posted everywhere on the net.
@Starfox2005 ,are you able to solder connectors onto an esc? That will help if you can,opens up more choices.
With the v2 6s Corally rigs being on sale,maybe JRC will be getting more of them soon.. I think the Torox 185 is the best value ur gonna find. Sign up for text notification from JRC.
Gotta act quick tho,cuz they go fast!
Max8 is def a solid choice as well..as is the quicrun WP-8bl150. The latter can be found under $100. There are some other rtr 6s esc's at Jenny's as well that are good. I run the Hobao version and it's great in my mojave.
As for the Spektrum, it's hit or miss. My bro has several 6s Arrmas, his felony goes into thermal shutdown pretty regularly..he uses Spektrum batteries exclusively too. I keep waiting for a text/call to tell me his felony went up in flames😱

I agree, even as the cheapskate that I am. It's a known issue that's pretty much been posted everywhere on the net.
@Starfox2005 ,are you able to solder connectors onto an esc? That will help if you can,opens up more choices.
With the v2 6s Corally rigs being on sale,maybe JRC will be getting more of them soon.. I think the Torox 185 is the best value ur gonna find. Sign up for text notification from JRC.
Gotta act quick tho,cuz they go fast!
Max8 is def a solid choice as well..as is the quicrun WP-8bl150. The latter can be found under $100. There are some other rtr 6s esc's at Jenny's as well that are good. I run the Hobao version and it's great in my mojave.
As for the Spektrum, it's hit or miss. My bro has several 6s Arrmas, his felony goes into thermal shutdown pretty regularly..he uses Spektrum batteries exclusively too. I keep waiting for a text/call to tell me his felony went up in flames😱
@KnowAir I'm able to solder my own connectors onto a ESC. And I'd like to get the stock 6s Corally system but I can't justify or currently afford spending that much on a ESC and a Corally motor when I have a old motor that I might be able to get running with some new bearings.

@KnowAir I'm able to solder my own connectors onto a ESC. And I'd like to get the stock 6s Corally system but I can't justify or currently afford spending that much on a ESC and a Corally motor when I have a old motor that I might be able to get running with some new bearings.
Oh my! I hadn't seen that JRC raised the price on the Torox esc? Is that what you're referring to? Last year I think I paid around $80 a piece for them..
So, what are you looking to spend?

Oh my! I hadn't seen that JRC raised the price on the Torox esc? Is that what you're referring to? Last year I think I paid around $80 a piece for them..
The price right now on JRC is...
ESC: $93
Motor:$64

Yeah, I see that... demand I guess.

TBH, $93 is a fair price. But, no warranty, soo.. some don't want to take the chance. Understandable.

If you want another reason to NOT use the Spektrum 150A, check this out:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/outcast-6s-exb-rtr-fire.50981/
Saw that one too..wtf!? I do wonder what is going on with these. Like I said before, my bro's firma 150a(Felony) keeps hitting thermal shutdown. It's completely stock with stock gearing and we haven't even reached spring yet, like 50F ambient.. not good.
FWIW, I haven't had an esc hit thermal shutdown since my Futaba FP-MC8 back in the eighties!!

Id like to try and keep the total cost under $130 ish right now I've got around $55 to spend and $20 in JRC gift cards. Really I just want to try and get it running rather soon but money's gonna be what slows down that process. Really got to be able to afford it and justify the cost of the electronics. @KnowAir
I'll have to see if I can sell off something to make some dough.

Id like to try and keep the total cost under $130 ish right now I've got around $55 to spend and $20 in JRC gift cards. Really I just want to try and get it running rather soon but money's gonna be what slows down that process. Really got to be able to afford it and justify the cost of the electronics. @KnowAir
I'll have to see if I can sell off something to make some dough.
I hear ya. Better off saving for something that's gonna last than dumping ur money in something that's questionable. You'll get there bro. I know how it goes.

Back