Jeffwazz's Punisher build-bash-break-fix thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20231110_175102~2.jpg

The cat scan has shown up a crack in the shock tower☹️
It's been bent and straightened a few times now so time to replace it I think.

Well, a rainy Sunday so time well spent with a cuppa and a hex wrench.
Time to replace the front and rear diff input cups. These are looking "well used" 😉
IMG_20231119_190016_999.jpg

Needed a fair but of heat from a mini torch to release the threadloc, but an otherwise thoroughly satisfying wrenching session.
IMG_20231119_160239_195.jpg

Quick slather of grease around the diff, and all back together.
IMG_20231119_144715_633.jpg

So, we've been together a whole year! Happy birthday to my Punisher 🎂
A couple more breakages to report since November.
Up first, snapped shock rod following a poorly executed backflip. Easy fix on a picnic table, but did need to stop at @Monsieur Velo 's garage for a pair of shock pliers to thread on the new shock rod end.
Secondly, killed the Rx (separate thread), still 😯, but I've treated myself to a Flysky GT3c as I've got a few compatible Rx in other stuff.
And third, broke the lower servo saver arm, the day after @Monsieur Velo broke the Kagama one!
IMG_20240127_164404_420.jpg

Fortunately I had a spare assembled rack, so that's in
IMG_20240127_212227_140.jpg

The 6-4 titanium Ackerman plate looks quite nice from that angle👍

Oh, almost forgot!
Taking inspiration from @Horatio , I've smartened up the underside with a 3D carbon wrap! Yep, eBay special sticky sheet, and then cut to size.
Turns this-
IMG_20230701_114330_257.jpg

Into this:-
IMG_20240118_212433_926.jpg

I've left the holes un-cut, but they're easy to cut out the bolt head circles with a scalpel, as I needed to do to get to the steering post bolts.

And happy 1st birthday steering servo 🎂
At the ripe old age of 13 months, he's lost his baby teeth😬
IMG_20240204_171816_617.jpg

Managed to get a further 2 packs through, hooning about on the local grass tumps and bumps, it was just like piloting an oil tanker.
New 35kg fitted (Amazon special) from the spares bag, see how this goes.

And happy 1st birthday steering servo 🎂
At the ripe old age of 13 months, he's lost his baby teeth😬
View attachment 5200
Managed to get a further 2 packs through, hooning about on the local grass tumps and bumps, it was just like piloting an oil tanker.
New 35kg fitted (Amazon special) from the spares bag, see how this goes.
Ahhhhhhh, there's a slim* possibility that I might have completely forgotten to adjust the end points and/or dual-rate with the new Rx/Tx combo 😫
Setting it correctly this evening, I'm down at only 53%, so seems likely that I've killed the servo by repeatedly ramming it into the end-stop 😬

*Yep, this one's on me.

And just another build update:-
New upper arms from a Kagama have been fitted. Previous ones had ovalized quite a lot giving a lot of steering slop.
IMG_20240205_200017_702.jpg

Last edited:
So a cracking good bash down at the BMX track, followed by goat curry and Thatcher's cider down @Monsieur Velo 's local pub.
Bit of fixing needed:-
  • Front shock tower took a head-on collision with the Kagama. It had to happen at some point I guess, but ouch! 🤕
  • Rear shock tower picked up a bit of a bend 🍌
  • Lower front arms are both twisted and buckled - lawn darting is gonna do that eventually!
So a few photos 😁
IMG_20240406_142331_939.jpg

Following a strip down and hammer-time, all fixed - well the bodyshell fits again 😉
IMG_20240406_185701_283.jpg

The rear tower
IMG_20240406_142346_596.jpg

That's staying as it is for now - still functional😄

And the lower front arms:-
IMG_20240406_194054_416.jpg

Replaced with the HDA4 versions - it's a straight swap, and they're much more beefy (and flat!)
IMG_20240406_184624_010.jpg

Unsurprisingly the suspension geometry is now better, the driveshafts don't tickle the shock springs, and steering toe is more reasonable 😁

So a cracking good bash down at the BMX track, followed by goat curry and Thatcher's cider down @Monsieur Velo 's local pub.
Bit of fixing needed:-
  • Front shock tower took a head-on collision with the Kagama. It had to happen at some point I guess, but ouch! 🤕
  • Rear shock tower picked up a bit of a bend 🍌
  • Lower front arms are both twisted and buckled - lawn darting is gonna do that eventually!
So a few photos 😁
View attachment 5759
Following a strip down and hammer-time, all fixed - well the bodyshell fits again 😉
View attachment 5760

The rear tower
View attachment 5761
That's staying as it is for now - still functional😄

And the lower front arms:-
View attachment 5762
Replaced with the HDA4 versions - it's a straight swap, and they're much more beefy (and flat!)
View attachment 5763
Unsurprisingly the suspension geometry is now better, the driveshafts don't tickle the shock springs, and steering toe is more reasonable 😁
Time for some 7075 aluminum shock towers.

Time for some 7075 aluminum shock towers.
Just bought the Kagama front tower 👍
I know it's not actually listed as a replacement part for the Punisher, but fingers crossed, it'll be modifiable to fit. The only obvious difference is a pair of 2,5mm holes at the top for the centre brace. If it works, brilliant. If not, then @Monsieur Velo gets a spare😉

I know it's not actually listed as a replacement part for the Punisher, but fingers crossed, it'll be modifiable to fit. The only obvious difference is a pair of 2,5mm holes at the top for the centre brace. If it works, brilliant. If not, then @Monsieur Velo gets a spare😉

Curious to hear if it does. Do post up. 😁

And what are these...HDA4 arms...that you speak of? 😄

Oooh. I'd love to hear your report on em. Just this past weekend the lower shock screw came loose again and so I thought I threaded it in right. Nope. 🤦‍♂️ It ended up not sitting properly and proceed to break the rear mounting hole. Moved the shocks to the inner hole and adjusted ride height. Seems to be working just fine. 😬

Oooh. I'd love to hear your report on em. Just this past weekend the lower shock screw came loose again and so I thought I threaded it in right. Nope. 🤦‍♂️ It ended up not sitting properly and proceed to break the rear mounting hole. Moved the shocks to the inner hole and adjusted ride height. Seems to be working just fine. 😬
Yes, the lower shock mounting screws continually backed out of both the front and rear arms on mine. To fix this, I use a blob of super glue at the edge of the screw head, and this effectively locks it into place. Even if you get some in the hex, it can be dug out with a pick so you can get the hex driver in.

Well, new front tower arrived in the post. I think I'll claim 99% compatibility 😁
I've overlaid the old and new here:-
IMG_20240409_191431_641.jpg

All the important holes are in the same places, except for the two which mount the upper centre brace, marked in this pic next to the Corally logo:-
IMG_20240409_191739_525.jpg

It'll be close to put 2,5mm holes in, as they'll be quite close to the square cut out, so I'll use the old tower as a drill guide to stop the hole breaking through into the cut-out.
It might even be preferable to modify the plastic brace bracket instead, I'll check this when I come to fit the tower.
The upper arm mounts will need to be the threaded pins (as on the XTR and optional centre brace kit for the XB), not the straight pins into the square inserts.

As a bonus, there's an extra body post position, so if needed, can move the body up a little, maybe for a layer of foam across the top of the shocks.

Either way, the Kagama tower looks much beefier 👍

Last edited:
Wow...that's interesting! I'm currently looking at ways to decrease the weight on the Shogun, but knowing that some Kagama parts are compatible is a plus! (y)

Back