I've actually killed the Rx 😲

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffwazz

Reaction score
So, a really unsatisfying lunchtime bash ended with electronics failure.
My mate @Monsieur Velo said I looked a bit grumpy on the way back to work😜
Lots of things going through my mind - ESC failure, steering servo, ESC switch...
Fortunately, it's only the Rx! Still got to do the autopsy on the s2r, but very surprised as I've never killed one before.

Fully working again with a (very old) HobbyKing GT2, so I'm definitely less grumpy now.

Glad to hear it's only a $9 rx.. what radio are you using? I have a couple of those rx's still in operation too. They work perfectly with my Flysky GT3b, which I have 2 of..and about 15 of the GR3E rx's. Range isn't great, but I really love the radio. Adjustments are soo easy..

It's the 'classic' (or just the really old one😉)
Screenshot_20240125162632.png

It's absolutely brilliant -very simple, good range. The only drawback is the 8AA batteries which add a bit of heft to it.
The Rx were cheap, so I've got quite a few scattered across cars, buggies, trucks and yachts

I've also looked at the Flysky gt3 with the LCD screen. Looks to be compatible with the current Rx.

But you've no idea how relieved I was that it was only the Rx and not anything more expensive💰💰💰

Last edited:
It's the 'classic' (or just the really old one😉)
View attachment 5124
It's absolutely brilliant -very simple, good range. The only drawback is the 8AA batteries which add a bit of heft to it.
The Rx were cheap, so I've got quite a few scattered across cars, buggies, trucks and yachts

I've also looked at the Flysky gt3 with the LCD screen. Looks to be compatible with the current Rx.

But you've no idea how relieved I was that it was only the Rx and not anything more expensive💰💰💰
I feel like the 8aa is a bonus, gives the radio a nice feel to me. Plus less battery changes. That was before I went to a 3s lipo anyways. I started with a 450mah, was okay but too small. Now have a big 5200mah strapped to the bottom of the radio which is quite ridiculous, and heavy! LOL.

I've retired several of the Flysky and HK receivers over the years.. doesn't hurt so bad when they're under $10 a piece. I see the prices on the Spektrum receivers and laugh. I don't care if they're good or not, ain't paying $50 for a ground receiver. I have no use or desire for gyro receivers.

The HK Rx are un-killable (is there such a word???) in my experience.
I've had them get submerged in an RC yacht, the cases split so the IC board is left rattling around in the box, the antenna ripped out by an unfortunate pinion/spur tangle - that really did affect the range😂
Those 3 are still in use and working fine. Re-soldering the co-ax antenna to the board was probably the most involved repair. The one that I've just fitted into the Punisher is held together with hot glue and tape.

Most of my failures were self inflicted. Poor installs that lead to antenna wires being ripped off.

I've retired several of the Flysky and HK receivers over the years.. doesn't hurt so bad when they're under $10 a piece. I see the prices on the Spektrum receivers and laugh. I don't care if they're good or not, ain't paying $50 for a ground receiver. I have no use or desire for gyro receivers.

When I got back into the game about 2-3 years ago, a friend of mine gave me a killer deal for a SCT410.3 that included a DX5 Pro. I liked how I could run multiple rigs for fairly cheaper (compared to the $80-$90 for a Futaba or Sanwa). I have a bunch of the 2CH receivers and they've been fairly good to me, even better that they're only about 35 bux brand new.

I agree though; it's hard to spend big bucks on receivers. And at this point, I'm in about 300 bucks with spektrum receivers, so the prospect of a platform change gives me a bit of indigestion. Although I will say that the RadioMaster MT12 did tempt me greatly. 😬

When I got back into the game about 2-3 years ago, a friend of mine gave me a killer deal for a SCT410.3 that included a DX5 Pro. I liked how I could run multiple rigs for fairly cheaper (compared to the $80-$90 for a Futaba or Sanwa). I have a bunch of the 2CH receivers and they've been fairly good to me, even better that they're only about 35 bux brand new.

I agree though; it's hard to spend big bucks on receivers. And at this point, I'm in about 300 bucks with spektrum receivers, so the prospect of a platform change gives me a bit of indigestion. Although I will say that the RadioMaster MT12 did tempt me greatly. 😬
Yeah, I've been weighing the radio options too. The Flysky GT3b has been great to me, but radio #1 is getting tired, steering wheel doesn't really center anymore. Plus 10 model memory is kinda weak. There is a hack that nets 300 model memory on them though..tempting.
I was checking out the RadioMaster, alot of bang for the buck, too many options I think. Thing has buttons everywhere!! They say the menu is a bit clunky too. Also was checking out the new Rlarrlo, nice, but only has 8 model memory. What is it with these radios having so many channels? 3 is perfect for me.
On a side note, my Redcat branded HW bl150 esc took a dump yesterday. Been abusing that thing for 3+ years, snow, mud.. well, it finally bit me back. Apparently the BEC went haywire, smoked everything, receiver, servo headlights, fans.. bummer. I put a voltmeter on the BEC, 15-19v coning out of it. I'm not disappointed, but definitely bummed that it took everything else out with it. Oh well, glad I can replace most everything including the esc for around $150.

Holy moly...19 volts? :oops: Way back I had a Mamba Max in an AE TC4. It glitched out somehow and lost steering signal and made a beeline for the curb right behind me. Decided to sacrifice myself to save the car and ended up with a split on my big toe. Came to find out later that the Mamba Max may have had a faulty BEC? I though it was the servo, but not long after I ended up selling almost all my cars, so I didn't really look into it.

The RadioMaster I really like because it can use almost all Rx platforms. And that range...oh my. As for model memory, my DX5 can handle something like 2 or 300 models when you equip a SD card, but there's no way I'm gonna have 300 receivers. Can you imagine trying to scroll through 300 models just to get to the one you want to drive? :oops:

I'm not sure I could fill that model memory!
In the past I've had 4 different models bound to the one Tx. There wasn't any model memory, so I just had to remember to reverse steering for a couple, and tweak the trim to run straight.
ESCs were always zeroed, and the yacht used throttle for the sail winch, so also could be set at zero trim.
I think this approach would be more difficult with my new GT3c, as there's EPA, end-points, expo to fiddle with as well, so I guess the model memory will be useful on a more featured Tx.

I've seen the DX5 is quite popular. Receivers are too expensive for me. My BIL has an Axial crawler that he had built, brought it to me to try and help get the radio setup. A DX5 rugged. He's a college educated fella, between the two of us, we spent over an hour trying to set it up, negative. That thing is overly complicated, and the touch screen is piss poor.. I'd never take a DX5 rugged even for free. POS.

I'm not sure I could fill that model memory!
In the past I've had 4 different models bound to the one Tx. There wasn't any model memory, so I just had to remember to reverse steering for a couple, and tweak the trim to run straight.
ESCs were always zeroed, and the yacht used throttle for the sail winch, so also could be set at zero trim.
I think this approach would be more difficult with my new GT3c, as there's EPA, end-points, expo to fiddle with as well, so I guess the model memory will be useful on a more featured Tx.

Same here. My wife would probably smother me in my sleep before that happens. That, or I'd be walking really funny.

I remember when I used to use an old spektrum Tx; can't remember the model. It had like 4 different cars matched up to it, so I had to do the same. ST trim and reverse, TH trim, reverse. Aaah...when life was much simpler!

I've seen the DX5 is quite popular. Receivers are too expensive for me. My BIL has an Axial crawler that he had built, brought it to me to try and help get the radio setup. A DX5 rugged. He's a college educated fella, between the two of us, we spent over an hour trying to set it up, negative. That thing is overly complicated, and the touch screen is piss poor.. I'd never take a DX5 rugged even for free. POS.

Yanno, I've been thinking about a Rugged for either myself or my son. I like the Pro, but I just don't like how Spektrum seems to have an obsession with big-headed radios. I mean, really; can't there be another shape besides "E.T."? Sometimes when I pull out the radio from my bag I feel the urge to phone home or stick out my finger. :oops: The Futabas and Sanwas and even the Noble Pro are all sleek and sexy. I pull mine out and all I hear is "Heeeeeyyyyy yooouuuu gguuuyyys!". Sigh.

Sorry to hear that you guys couldn't get the Rugged set up. If it hasn't been sorted, shoot me line and I'll see if I can help out. Or if your BIL has the same thought as you and wants to chuck it, shoot me a line as well. I may be interested in relieving you of it's shenanigans. 😅 I have heard that the touch screen is kinda lousy and that the wheel function can be ex-wife temperamental at times too, but I think I'd be willing to experiment.

Last edited:
Same here. My wife would probably smother me in my sleep before that happens. That, or I'd be walking really funny.

I remember when I used to use an old spektrum Tx; can't remember the model. It had like 4 different cars matched up to it, so I had to do the same. ST trim and reverse, TH trim, reverse. Aaah...when life was much simpler!

Yanno, I've been thinking about a Rugged for either myself or my son. I like the Pro, but I just don't like how Spektrum seems to have an obsession with big-headed radios. I mean, really; can't there be another shape besides "E.T."? Sometimes when I pull out the radio from my bag I feel the urge to phone home or stick out my finger. :oops: The Futabas and Sanwas and even the Noble Pro are all sleek and sexy. I pull mine out and all I hear is "Heeeeeyyyyy yooouuuu gguuuyyys!". Sigh.

Sorry to hear that you guys couldn't get the Rugged set up. If it hasn't been sorted, shoot me line and I'll see if I can help out. Or if your BIL has the same thought as you and wants to chuck it, shoot me a line as well. I may be interested in relieving you of it's shenanigans. 😅 I have heard that the touch screen is kinda lousy and that the wheel function can be ex-wife temperamental at times too, but I think I'd be willing to experiment.
Yeah, IDK what to say. I've never had such a hard time with a radio, including going through the blinking light marathon that Traxxas has in the TQi. He lives in UT, a thousand plus miles away.. not sure if he ever got it sorted out or not. Likely gave up, he's not really an rc guy anyway. Like I said, I know Spektrum is good, maybe too good for me, IDK. Setting end points or reversing channels shouldn't even need a manual IMO. I like my old GT3b, it's just a simple layout, easy to read as long as the sun isn't shining brightly.

Sometimes it happens to the best of us. On my Pro I really don't use anything aside from steering and throttle trim and the normal/reverse. I played with dual rate steering and EPA and some throttle and brake curves, but didn't like it. For now my fingers are the safety. :D

You can have my POS FrSky TRF6 if you like and fry that as well ...🤣😅

It just will not bind to my Futaba 3VCS FASST radio. It's utterly pointless. 🙄

Back