Sketer Esc up in smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

Reaction score
So my brand new sketers esc went up in smoke. Long story short, i never tested it new out of box as i don't have any xt90 plugged batteries. So tonight i soldered on ec5 plugs with a jumper as i don't have any single 4s packs. Only have 2s 3s and 6s. Got every thing done and plugged in a 2s lipo. Esc turned on as it should counted the cells then smoke came out and shorted. Every thing was good on my end. Hopfully corally will help, but i wont be supprised if they don't. Pretty bumbed wanted to run it tmr

If you're sure everything was soldered up correctly, then fingers crossed for a warranty on the ESC. It's not unheard of to have electronics smile on first connection, so hopefully they'll help you out.

Riddle me this batman. Took the cover off the esc couldnt find nothing wrong. Smelt a little burnt but not bad. Put it back to gether and plugged it in. Now it works, put it back in the car. Calibrated every thing and it acts as if nothing happened. I know it shorted out because i had smoke and my battery cables got hot. Think i should keep my claim in with corally? Not sure how long this thing will last.

My guess is you had a tiny bit of solder shorting the two sides in your connector. And then the short unsoldered the crossover bit to unshort it.

Went to run the truck. Lasted about 3 minutes. It would get about 100ft from me and stop like its lost signal. Walk up to it and it would go again. Did that about 4 times then stopped and wont go. Still have steering, but no throttle. Esc flashes 3 green stops then 3 green over and over. Cant calibrate it think ahe is done

New esc came, got around to soldering on the ec5 connectors and getting it installed. Put battery in , no smoke so thats good. But still only steering and no throttle. Wth! So took another slt3 radio and reciever from another car and tuhdah everything works. So out of curiosity i plugged the other reciever in and bound the radio that was working to that reciever and no throttle.. so it looks like when the esc went bad it took the reciever with it.

New esc came, got around to soldering on the ec5 connectors and getting it installed. Put battery in , no smoke so thats good. But still only steering and no throttle. Wth! So took another slt3 radio and reciever from another car and tuhdah everything works. So out of curiosity i plugged the other reciever in and bound the radio that was working to that reciever and no throttle.. so it looks like when the esc went bad it took the reciever with it.
Always something isn't it? Glad to hear you're up and running!

Back