Colour for Kronos ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1208

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
I am about to paint my spare xtr body.
I have Subaru blue candy apple green and metallic silver.
Decisions decisions.
Thinking the blue ?

A01BF40A-EA34-49AB-ACB8-428ABA8A397B.jpeg

I’ve painted alot of blue.. I’d like to see that green on it. 🤔

Edit: scratch that, it’s TS paint and won’t adhere to poly. It will just flake all over the place lol. Go with the blue!

Edit: scratch that, it’s TS paint and won’t adhere to poly. It will just flake all over the place lol. Go with the blue!
Use PS-55 flat clear first and the TS paint will stick... 👍🏼

I vote for the green, make sure to back it with bright silver PS-41

Thanks for the input lads.
Got called out so postponed until tomorrow.
What does backing it with silver do Brian ?
Do I apply the colour then just paint silver on top of the applied colour ?
Does the shell have a protective film like the tamiyas you need to remove before painting ?

You can always 2 tone with blue and silver, if not I agree with the rest that blue would look really good.

What does backing it with silver do Brian ?

Backing it with a second color will make your finish coat pop..!!😎

First rule of lexan, paint on the inside !! (there is no law about this, all depends on what you want to achieve 👍🏼)
If you were doing more than a one color paint job always do darker colors first.
Second rule of lexan, only use PS paint if using Tamiya paint. ( well sort of🤔 )

( now this is where it gets interesting, if you use PS-55 flat clear first then your actual color from the TS range of paints it will then adhere to the lexan 😎 this works most of the time )

So as an example... if you want to use that green TS-52, I'd suggest PS-55 first then the green and lastly the silver, it's the silver that will make that green pop, you could even add a black coat last to really deepen and block that color.

For your blue, it would ideally be 1st blue, 2nd silver and last black.

This is how I got my Scooby blue to pop..!!😎

IMG_5844.jpg

Do I apply the colour then just paint silver on top of the applied colour ?
So for lexan you lay your color on the inside and back it with a blocker as such. There is no law to this but general rule of thumb is, if painting bright colors back with white or bright silver, and with darker colors go with black or gun metals..

Does the shell have a protective film like the tamiyas you need to remove before painting ?
Most lexan shells have the protective film 👍🏼

I hope what I have said makes sense, if you want more help search "Hemistorm" he is the rattle can master 😉

Wow thank you so much Brian. Yup it all makes sense. I take it there’s a better type of paint than the tamiya then ?
I thot it was the correct paint for the clear shells. I didn’t know there made of different plastics. Tamiya is polycarbonate if I remember right ehh ?
What would you recommend for lexan ?
I was only going to use tamiya stuff as I had it lying around 😂

I'm guessing your in UK, I mean Scotland based 😉 I use Tamiya paint and would recommend that over pretty much everything else here in the UK..!!
If your just painting lexan/polycarbonate body shells just use Tamiya PS paint for hassle free results 👍🏼

( you can get fancy once you get used to them 😎)
Here's my pink marble infraction all done with Tamiya rattle cans..!!👍🏼 photos do this paint job no justice..

IMG_7325.jpg

I borrowed this below 😉 from the internet...

Tamiya spray paints are not acrylic, but most can be used with acrylic paints. Tamiya spray paints are split into three main categories all with the modeller in mind. These are TS Spray Paints, AS Spray Paints, and PS Spray Paints. All Tamiya spray paints are perfect for painting larger areas with a single colour.
Tamiya spray paints have a strong odour and contain potentially harmful chemicals so are best used outside to prevent over-spray and to allow the vapours to disperse. If you don't have this option and you have to use the paints indoors it is highly recommended to invest in a spray booth that will catch over-spray and extract fumes.
For a more controlled application the paint can be decanted into a container and then used through an airbrush. This is done by taping a plastic drinking straw over the nozzle of the can and spraying the contents into the container. The paint should then be left for 30 minutes to allow all the propellant gas to evaporate.

WHAT ARE TAMIYA TS SPRAY PAINTS?

TS stands for 'Tamiya Sprays'. This is Tamiya's core range of spray paints for models. The paint is a synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time. Each contains 100ml of paint, which is enough to fully cover 2 or 3, 1/24 scale sized car bodies. Tamiya spray paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints. Therefore, following an overall base coat, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints. By combining the use of these three types of paints, the finishing of plastic models becomes simpler and more effective.

WHAT ARE TAMIYA AS SPRAY PAINTS?

AS stands for 'Aircraft Sprays'. This range of spray paints are just like the TS range and feature authentic colours for aircraft models. The subtle shades can be easily obtained on your models by simply spraying. Each can contains 100ml of synthetic lacquer paint.

WHAT ARE TAMIYA PS SPRAY PAINTS?

PS stands for 'Polycarbonate Sprays'. These spray paints are developed especially for use on transparent polycarbonate body shells for radio controlled models. Polycarbonate paint etches into the plastic to form a strong bond. Each contain 100ml of paint, which is the appropriate amount for finishing one of these models. Spray the paint on the inside of the body shell, keeping the can about 30cm from the surface. After curing, apply another coat. Small details should be brush painted beforehand using Tamiya polycarbonate bottle paints. Do not use other paints as the polycarbonate paint will damage them. Applying paint to the inside of a clear shell in this way means that the paint will not be chipped off if the outside of the shell takes damage. These paints are impervious to oil and fuels, so they can be safely used on gas-powered radio controlled models.
Polycarbonate spray paint will damage polystyrene so should never be used on a plastic model kit.

Wow mate your infraction looks dynamite 🧨 💥
Yeah I am from Glasgow. Made a few tamiya kits so that’s why I had the paint.
I followed your advice.
First I cleaned the body.
Then applied 3 layers of the Subaru blue. Once that dried I applied silver to the blue.
The silver defiantly made the blue pop more.
I applied a smoke paint to the windows then realised I messed up. The smoke was ts paint. I never noticed until I applied it and it didn’t take to well.
Apart from that she came up ok 👍

98B3086D-98DE-4F47-B571-3D05433524BD.jpeg

AB4C3BB9-F8FD-4798-8896-966A534A7583.jpeg

799758CB-A827-4CF2-896A-8C754C960279.jpeg

Wow mate your infraction looks dynamite 🧨 💥
Yeah I am from Glasgow. Made a few tamiya kits so that’s why I had the paint.
I followed your advice.
First I cleaned the body.
Then applied 3 layers of the Subaru blue. Once that dried I applied silver to the blue.
The silver defiantly made the blue pop more.
I applied a smoke paint to the windows then realised I messed up. The smoke was ts paint. I never noticed until I applied it and it didn’t take to well.
Apart from that she came up ok 👍

View attachment 327

View attachment 328

View attachment 329
I really like how it turned out, that blue looks great! Nice job bud 👍🏻🍺

Use PS-55 flat clear first and the TS paint will stick... 👍🏼

I vote for the green, make sure to back it with bright silver PS-41
I didn’t know that! Good tip 👌🏻

I need to read this thread in detail, I've never painted a body so it will be my first with the spare body that comes with the XTR.

Back