Battery Storage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KERTWOOD

Reaction score
I'm new to this hobby and would like some feedback/recommendations.

1. How do you all store your batteries?

2. Has one ever exploded/caught fire?

3. Was the incident during charging or storage?

4. Do you discharge before storage and simply charge before every use or do you store fully charged?

Me mindful that I'm far from moron as I've wired up to twelve 31 deep cycle batteries in both parallel and series for Hydraulic (lowrider) applications. I just worry a tad about these due them residing in my home and being a possible fire hazard.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Most people will tell you that if you follow all the rules then there should be very little risk. Personally I don't take chances specially because like you I store my batteries inside my house, and I always store and charge inside a BatSafe box.

I store my batteries in ammo boxes with most of the top gasket removed, and I mostly charge my batteries in a BatSafe. I store and charge my batteries in an unfinished portion of my basement on the concrete floor and away from all flammable material.

I store my batteries in ammo boxes with most of the top gasket removed, and I mostly charge my batteries in a BatSafe. I store and charge my batteries in an unfinished portion of my basement on the concrete floor and away from all flammable material.
Like you I have a Basement with poured concrete walls and floor. That’s where the work station is set up. I guess I’ll look into a Bat-Box for charging. I have access to multiple ammo cans for storage.

Last edited:
I also use ammo boxes for storage but also for charging. I've never had any failures (touch wood) yet to speak of but being slightly paranoid about it I have chucked several lipos at the first sign of any ballooning (by chucked I mean fully discharging with a home made lamp discharger, tying the battery terminals together and putting in with normal battery recycling).

For a long time I always used to storage charge all batteries (including discharging any unused ones) but lately I have been storing a few fully charged ready to go depending on how soon I think I will use them. Not ideal I know but to me, that seems safer than charging above 1C since you are waiting on them to go out.

Update: purchased two bat-safe boxes and have an idea on a charging station.

I’ll show the station build once completed.

Last edited:
Back