Backflip LP for Sketer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey

Reaction score
I'm picking out tires for the Sketer.
The Sketer is getting the wide mod, geared up to 16t pinion.

I'm looking for good air control when jumping/stunts.

I know Proline is highly recommended but I'm also open to options and the Backflip LP/4s comes up a lot.

Since we have Arrma owners here I thought I'd ask if they are a good budget option to Proline tires. Do they hold up long term? Do the wheels crack? Hexes strip, etc?

Any other good tires that cost less than Proline but are not a cheap quality?

Yes, I'm trying to save a few bucks but I don't want cheap tires/wheels that won't hold up to heavy bashing.

I don't have mine for too long, so can't tell you about long time experience, but I have Backflip LPs on erevo 2.0 rims on my maxx v2 and like them thus far. Much better than the stock Sledgehammers imo.

20220203_131821.jpg

I don't have mine for too long, so can't tell you about long time experience, but I have Backflip LPs on erevo 2.0 rims on my maxx v2 and like them thus far. Much better than the stock Sledgehammers imo.

View attachment 1431
What body is that and where do I get one?!

I'm really thinking I'll order the Backflips.

Can do a standing backflip, just not as easy. My Noto is an OC EXB with Max6 1650kv combo and 20t pinion, so it is a beast.

Sketer is much lighter, so it is a bit more nimble. Air control is pretty close to the same with both. Sketer can single and double backflip easy, and easy to correct in the air.

Sketer is much more prone to roll with turns at speed due to the width difference.

Steering is so much better and more precise on the sketer. I have always hated/had issues with Arrma steering, it is a constant struggle. Lol.

I will be honest - don't drive the sketer hard on the street with the backflip LPs. I killed 3 of them yesterday. I think the more narrow width makes it lean onto the sidewalls of the tires a bit much, and really tore them up. I may get some 3.8 Trencher LPs. They are same height as the BF LPs, but a tougher tire and I think the sidewalls will handle a bit more stress.

I'll be running the Sketer on hard pack, loose rocky dirt and gravel.

One thing we have a lot of are sharp rocks everywhere, will that tear up the sidewalls of the Backflip LP?

I'll be running the Sketer on hard pack, loose rocky dirt and gravel.

One thing we have a lot of are sharp rocks everywhere, will that tear up the sidewalls of the Backflip LP?
Maybe. I killed a full size BF on my OC6s on a sharp rock pile before. But if it is just a rock here and there on the terrain, will be fine. They do awesome in loose dirt.

Maybe. I killed a full size BF on my OC6s on a sharp rock pile before. But if it is just a rock here and there on the terrain, will be fine. They do awesome in loose dirt.
I'm in the Ozark Mountains, pointy rocks everywhere.

My loose dirt is best described as "Tiny rocks layered over the bigger rocks"

I really shouldn't have called it loose dirt since it's not really dirt like other regions have.

The search continues...

Proline is always Proline but imo Dboots wheels is a damn good alternative and both rims and tires hold up well. BF and BFLP's have extra rubber strips on the inside, which contributes to a bit less ballooning, the only advantage most Prolines 3.8's have is the 1/2 offset, dBoots rims could've had just a little bit more offset imo. I used Proline Desperados.

IMG_6922_resize.JPG

Proline is always Proline but imo Dboots wheels is a damn good alternative and both rims and tires hold up well. BF and BFLP's have extra rubber strips on the inside, which contributes to a bit less ballooning, the only advantage most Prolines 3.8's have is the 1/2 offset, dBoots rims could've had just a little bit more offset imo. I used Proline Desperados.

View attachment 1471
I agree with my other rigs. I run Backflips on my OC6s and Kraton 6s, and BF LPs on my Tekno MT410. So put them on the Sketer. Again, I think the narrow width makes it lean into the sidewall more, and really tore up the tires a lot more than any of my other rigs ever had. If it were just one tire...I would think was just a thing. Happened to 3 of them. Not a coincidence at that point.

Right now I'm more concerned with tough sidewalls than any particular brand name.

I looked at some Duratrax but based on how much they balloon I think the tires are too soft and the sidewalls will not hold up.

How tough are the Proline sidewalls?

Any tires that are known to have tough sidewalls?

Right now I'm more concerned with tough sidewalls than any particular brand name.

I looked at some Duratrax but based on how much they balloon I think the tires are too soft and the sidewalls will not hold up.

Most belted tires have stiff sidewalls.

I'll try these tomorrow on my Kronos and will report back how they hold up on asphalt. (they are belted)
1646514215344.png

Most belted tires have stiff sidewalls.
I guess I always had a bad impression of belted tires because of the weight but I'll check out that option.

I'll try these tomorrow on my Kronos and will report back how they hold up on asphalt. (they are belted)
View attachment 1472
I think Duratrax is the North America version of that brand. I've been looking at some of those too, I really appreciate your thoughts on their durability.

I guess I always had a bad impression of belted tires because of the weight but I'll check out that option.

I think Duratrax is the North America version of that brand. I've been looking at some of those too, I really appreciate your thoughts on their durability.
Tried them out on asphalt and they are LOUD :oops:

Sidewalls seem to be sturdy and they would hold up, however the thread is not meant for asphalt, and it would wear down pretty quickly imo.
The tires are excellent on dirt, gravel and grass, they dig right in and don't balloon, because they are belted. đź‘Ť

Back