21' Kronos XTR diff cup wear ie is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
So my xtr has been run mainly on 4s for the last 6 months..6s a couple times. TC motor and esc (Torox/Kuron) backflip LP's since day one. I have quite a few rigs that I run, 6-7, so I'd guess it's had maybe 20 or so packs through it.
I run it on a clay track at my house, no big jumps or ramp action. Pretty tame IMO. So heres how things look currently..

20220616_175845.jpg

20220616_175914.jpg

20220616_175945.jpg

20220616_180012.jpg

20220616_180035.jpg

20220616_180241.jpg

Attachments

• 20220616_184748.jpg
    20220616_184748.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 44
Just for perspective. Here are some of my other rigs..kraton exb, 6s exclusively, max6/4092. Bought this a week after the xtr. Same running conditions.

20220616_183803.jpg

20220616_183817.jpg

20220616_184734.jpg

Mojave exb, about a year old. Many more packs run through it than either the xtr or kraton. 4,5 and 6s. All original parts.

Tekno mt410, a year old, 4s.

How about a 15 year old Xray buggy, yeah a 2007..

Attachments

• 20220616_183951.jpg
    20220616_183951.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220616_183929.jpg
    20220616_183929.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220616_184742.jpg
    20220616_184742.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220616_184106.jpg
    20220616_184106.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220616_184118.jpg
    20220616_184118.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220616_183744.jpg
    20220616_183744.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I did submit an inquiry with them, waiting on a response. I know these are wear items, so expect that they will indeed need replacement at some point. Wasn't expecting to see them wear so quickly though. I don't mean to put TC down, I do feel as though it is a great driving rig and has taken some licks from hitting trees, and seemingly endless tumbles😬😱🤣 but all my other rigs get the same.. shockingly, even my Xmaxx drive parts are holding up better! Believe me, I'm no fan of TRX. I would liken the wear I'm experiencing with the TC to what I see from Redcat vehicles..difference being I don't care about them (Redcat).. just run em till they won't..🤣🤣

Last edited:
I did submit an inquiry with them, waiting on a response. I know these are wear items, so expect that they will indeed need replacement at some point. Wasn't expecting to see them wear so quickly though. I don't mean to put TC down, I do feel as though it is a great driving rig and has taken some licks from hitting trees, and seemingly endless tumbles😬😱🤣 but all my other rigs get the same.. shockingly, even my Xmaxx drive parts are holding up better! Believe me, I'm no fan of TRX. I would liken the wear I'm experiencing with the TC to what I see from Redcat vehicles..difference being I don't care about them (Redcat).. just run em till they won't..🤣🤣
I'd imagine their response will be that the upgraded spring steel parts on the 22 XTR are the solution?

I'd imagine their response will be that the upgraded spring steel parts on the 22 XTR are the solution?
Mine too..hoping they'll foot the bill, but doubtful. I've priced out the spring steel cups, $85 +tax and shipping. The center drve shafts are looking pretty ragged too. Guessing over $100. Not crazy, but not good..
Still awaiting a response from TC. I did get an acknowledgement from TC of my inquiry. Fingers crossed. If I have to buy parts, they likely won't be TC. Might have to do some Macgyver'ing..

Mine too..hoping they'll foot the bill, but doubtful. I've priced out the spring steel cups, $85 +tax and shipping. The center drve shafts are looking pretty ragged too. Guessing over $100. Not crazy, but not good..
Still awaiting a response from TC. I did get an acknowledgement from TC of my inquiry. Fingers crossed. If I have to buy parts, they likely won't be TC. Might have to do some Macgyver'ing..
Yeah I hear ya! It's a tough position for them though, if they where to give all the XTR '21 owners a free set of spring steel drive cups they'd probably go out of business? Maybe a nice discount? They'll hopefully do something for you, the amount of wear on your photos sounds like a bad batch.

I hear ya. That's why I'm doubtful of getting any freebies..I get it from TC's perspective. I'm of the opinion that I've already paid for the parts once..why would I buy them again? Seems they're of questionable qaulity based on my experience. Not tearing any Arrma's apart just yet..😁

Got quite a few 1/8 scales to examine in my arsenal, plus my brother has quite a few that I don't. Maybe something will work..

it's fairly common across TC vehicles unfortunately
Only on the older rigs..He has a 2021 without the spring steel outdrives

So my xtr has been run mainly on 4s for the last 6 months..6s a couple times. TC motor and esc (Torox/Kuron) backflip LP's since day one. I have quite a few rigs that I run, 6-7, so I'd guess it's had maybe 20 or so packs through it.
I run it on a clay track at my house, no big jumps or ramp action. Pretty tame IMO. So heres how things look currently..

View attachment 2538

View attachment 2539

View attachment 2540

View attachment 2541

View attachment 2542

View attachment 2543

Upgrade to the spring steel outdrives

Only on the older rigs..He has a 2021 without the spring steel outdrives

Upgrade to the spring steel outdrives
As a last resort..I'd buy them. Shouldn't be needed, that's the point. Seen people having issues with the spring steel as well.

As a last resort..I'd buy them. Shouldn't be needed, that's the point. Seen people having issues with the spring steel as well.
Last resort? Lol..You need new cups why not get the spring steel? Im not sure if you are just hating or not but i haven't seen any issues with them i own sketer and XTR..Why get upset about the old version stock cups but not be willing to upgrade to the new ones? Makes zero sense 😂

Principal of it I guess. But we're talking $100 worth of parts. Not sure you can see in the pics but front and rear input,output as well as center diff cups are smoked. As well as center drive shafts. Yeah I guess I'm a tad bitter bout it..🤣🤣

Makes plenty of sense to me by the way👌

I am having this problem with a Python in the front, rear, and center. I thought about getting the spring steel cups but then Id be adding new cups to old diff internals and while it would probably not be a issue, it wasn't something I wanted to do. so I was going to get all new diffs from Jennys because for the money spent it seems like the better way to go as Id be getting new diffs and cups front to back. the diffs from Jenny's wouldn't be sp steel though so that concerns me a little. I have been on the fence for a while and have yet to make a decision. time will tell....

Principal of it I guess. But we're talking $100 worth of parts. Not sure you can see in the pics but front and rear input,output as well as center diff cups are smoked. As well as center drive shafts. Yeah I guess I'm a tad bitter bout it..🤣🤣

Makes plenty of sense to me by the way👌
I hear you but its funny people will put all m2c stuff on their arrma costing 300 plus but get bitter over something thats an easy fix lol ..Just get the spring steel and you won't have to worry about it anymore..Name one RC that needs zero upgrades? You cant their is no such a thing lol..Happy bashing my friend! 👍🏼

I hear you but its funny people will put all m2c stuff on their arrma costing 300 plus but get bitter over something thats an easy fix lol ..Just get the spring steel and you won't have to worry about it anymore..Name one RC that needs zero upgrades? You cant their is no such a thing lol..Happy bashing my friend! 👍🏼
Also add the graphite inserts to the rear chassis braces..It will take out the lil bit of flex that can bend a center shaft

I am having this problem with a Python in the front, rear, and center. I thought about getting the spring steel cups but then Id be adding new cups to old diff internals and while it would probably not be a issue, it wasn't something I wanted to do. so I was going to get all new diffs from Jennys because for the money spent it seems like the better way to go as Id be getting new diffs and cups front to back. the diffs from Jenny's wouldn't be sp steel though so that concerns me a little. I have been on the fence for a while and have yet to make a decision. time will tell....
Get the spring steel and just tune your stock diffs

I agree, there's no perfect rig..perhaps I'm being too harsh on TC. For the record, I don't have any M2C or really any aftermarket upgrades to speak of on any of my rigs. Mainly because don't run that hard. I did buy some stub axles(steel) for my Xmaxx, but only to gain clearance for 8s backflips. Stock xmaxx tires are truly poo..actually it's the foams that give up..both my brother's and mine went "flat" after the foams disintegrated inside the otherwise like new tires. He just got some duracraps. Curious to see how they hold up.
In the end, after I get done crying aboot my TC cups, I know I'll likely be buying the swiss miss upgrades🤣🤣🍻

So I got a reply from Stefan at TC. He referred me to file a claim with HRP, the US distributor of TC products.. I'll start the process with HRP and see where it goes.

TC is taking care of me🍻 Got word from HRP today they are sending out the swiss bits, yeah!
The pinion drive cups are out of stock though, shipment expected sometime in July.
Gonna order them from Hobby RC explosion. Certainly can't hurt to have an extra set. Thanks TC🤘

Back